aaahhhh Genelec 1030A for 990 EUR (860 USD))

db51

That's the price for a used pair that I saw in a second hand music store in Paris this afternoon.

I was looking for a pair of monitors and was going to go for a pair of Tannoy Reveal actives (750 eur/650 usd new)...
But now this...Damn, I've been thinking all afternoon about this....It's a bit above my budget (I was stretching already for the Tannoys), but then again rice and bread is cheap :)

They are second hand, but the store offers a 3 month warranty, which is pretty much standard for used gear, and I'm thinking that at this price, I can't go wrong....or could I?? :confused:

I've got to decide quickly as the 1030's could go anyday (could be sold already :()

What would you do???

Yo 51 degrees of indecision:

I'd buy a nice loaf of that great hard crusted bread you have over there, a nice slab of cheese, and a bottle of wine. Then, I'd enjoy that treat and go out and buy a pair of Yorkville passives so I'd money left over for more bread, cheese, and wine.

Green Hornet
Happy St. Patrick's Day:D :D :rolleyes: :p :p

Did he get his monitors??? Did he??

Well, I went back to the store today, to have a closer look at them and make up my mind.
I didn't get to listen to them (this is more or less a music pawn shop, they don't have any equipment hooked up), but I've heard 1030's before. Anyway, I checked them out just visually, and there were quite a lot of scratches on the sides of each monitor : it looked like they'd been moved around a lot, and since this model started shipping in 1994 (I think..) it wouldn't have surprised me if this pair was more than 5 years old already (the salesman said he hadn't asked the seller how old they were...yeah right :rolleyes: )

Basicely I decided the Genelecs weren't in good enough shape for their price of 990 Eur (a new pair costs around 1250 Eur and for these extra 260 Eur you get a 3 year warranty), so I didnt buy them...

Green Hornet, I've heard many good things about the Yorksvilles but nobody seems to carry them here. I sent an email to Yorksville asking where I could find their products but they didn't bother replying so I don't bother with their products anymore :)

Happy st Patricks Day, whenever that is! :D

Back