AA1.5 or 2.0 ?

I found myself with the same question.

Are you happy with AA1.5 stability and comfortable with its interface? If Yes, keep it.

Do you really need input monitoring and have a sound card with enough low latency under 5ms? If no, keep 1.5.

Do you need other newer features that 2.0 offers? If no, keep 1.5.

The only reason I demo'ed the 2.0 is for its Input Monitoring feature. However, 2.0 requires more CPU power, takes longer loading time, seems unstable and eliminates the old "quickverb" that I love so much that it doesn't justify adjusting to the new interface.

Download the Trial and see if you like it better than 1.5.

.:Wyze Loc:. said:
is it important?
If you're used to it, or you plan on recording other artists who've recorded in pro studios, yes.

Otherwise you can pull one headphone off and listen to your vocals as you record them.

I get live monitoring through my outboard mixer (Soundcraft CompACT4) so I stayed on 1.5 until the bugs of 2.0 get worked out.

there are quite a bit more features, that I think merit the upgrade.

although the quickverb is gone, their other reverbs are better and AA2.0 seems to be able to allow the "live" use of them much better before your computer starts to wimper.
It does load slower than 1.5, but the background mixing is MUCH faster and infact you don't have the little meter like on previous editions.
there are a couple other features, and 2.0 is actually laid out a tad different, which I think for the better. You can quasi-automate your envelopes now in real time, or still put them in with the mouse..your choice.
If you have 1.5, the upgrade isn't all that much, but like said, if you are really happy with the older version, don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. I liked that the effects seemed much easier to use, better, and didn't make my computer bog down as quickly, and that was worth the upgrade just for that. Other stuff like the mastering rack, etc... I could do with or without it...at THIS point.

.:Wyze Loc:. said:
so is that the only thing different,
i heard the sizeof the program has dramatically increased

btw, if you go to the adobe site, it will tell you all the new features with 2.0. A much easier read than me trying to post it.

however, my posts are good for opinions, and I like it.

OK, I'm biased.

I've used this software since Cool Edit Pro 1.2, and I couldn't live without the 2.0 version. Writing from a control surface, ASIO support, and all the rest. Audition is joining the 21st Century, and I love it. It still does straight-up multitrack recording and editing as well as any of 'em. If you want MIDI, samplers, sequencers, and other stuff unpalatable to us Les Paul players, go find something else. For a program that effectively emulates the analog experience, look no further.

Change of Poets (or anybody): I still don't get it.

Originally Posted by dobro
"What's Input Monitoring? "

"Live monitoring of vocals."

Well, I'm doing that already. I listen to what I'm recording at the same time I play back what I've previously recorded. What's the difference between that and Input Monitoring?

The significant difference with monitoring is that you can monitor with effects.

It's indeed best to check out the new feature documents on the Adobe site, the prepurchase FAQs etc on the Adobe forum, and download the trial and give it a thrashing. It's 100% impossible to predict whether you will like it or not, and whether it will like your hardware or not - unless I come round and spend a week getting to know you and your requirements. (No? thought not...)

dobro said:
Change of Poets (or anybody): I still don't get it.

Originally Posted by dobro
"What's Input Monitoring? "

"Live monitoring of vocals."

Well, I'm doing that already. I listen to what I'm recording at the same time I play back what I've previously recorded. What's the difference between that and Input Monitoring?
You get it. I already do it as well. So I'm not upgrading right now. ;)

I have them both installed on my computer. I love 2,0 but still using 1,5 because of projects which were already started in 1,5.
Anyway, I don't want to rush to new version. I'll try to go over softly.
I would like to open 1,5-projects in 2,0 and also the other way but it is not simple as that. It is not impossible as well but still...

Since 2.0 requires you to start a session by naming it, when I open a 1.5 session that I want to remain in that format, I rename the session as a 2.0 and then I can work on it in either program.

When I try to open an 1,5 session in AA 2,0 everything is going well until the program realize that some effects which I have used in 1,5 doesn't exist or maybe just has different name or directory in AA 2,0.
Then I click Ok and session opens nicely but still missing some effects or other data.

Why not get the demo and try it out that's what I did, I used to use Cakewalk but CEP2 blows Cakewalk away or should I say the version of Cakewalk I used. :)

Is it possible to upgrade from Audition 1.0 to 1.5, or do I have to go directly to 2.0? I have 1.0. I'm not sure I need 2.0 presently but would love to get hold of 1.5.

I like the track monitoring it has, you can listen to a session and if something is causing you to peak, you can see which one it is. The mixer has a mono switch. The interface looks better. The best feature, the dual monitor mode. I have two computer screens now. By using two screens you free up space on your session screen, it alows you to look at more tracks at once. It does tax your cpu and ram quite a bit though, but so far the program seems to multi track well.

I used Audition 1.5 for a very long time (as far as software is concerned) and when 2 came out, I purchased the upgrade and received it via fedex before the trial even came out. I noticed that I could do far less with 2.0 than I could in 1.5 before the cpu and memory became an issue. Some other bugs and crashes caused me to phone adobe support and I returned my product. I have since migrated to cubase which works much better for me.

I'd stay with 1.5 for as long as it provides the tools that you need.

Back