A8N-SLI DELUXE and ANTEC

undergroundtoon

I am posting this to maby help other's on here. I built another new computer today and had a problem. I mocked everything up

AN8-SLI DELUXE
ANTEC 500 smart power 2.0(i wanted to go bigger but i am pushing 30+ outlet's)
SILVERSTONE TJ06 with (2) 120mm and (1) 60mm already in it
LOGISYS DIGITAL THERMAL CONTROLLER
AMD ATHALON X2 4600
SONY DRU-810A DVD+ RW
PATRIOT 1GB (2X512 PC 3200 400 MHZ)
N VIDIA E-GEFORCE 6500
SEGATE 300GB HARD DRIVE
2 ANTEC TRICOOL 120MM FANS
WINDOWS XP($200 I HATE MICROSOFT)

I went to do my first boot up and got 3 beeps. One loud BEEP then 2 quick BEEB, BEEB. I know i can screw up sometimes but i can put a computer together in my sleep. I put both sticks of ram in the blue slot and the video card in the lower blue spot. I thought maby if i try moving the video to the black(secondary pci express) slot it might catch NOPE. I dug into the manual to try to find the beep code, guess what its not in the manual. So i went online to a few sites. Online the answer was the ANTEC power supply and the A8N-SLI are not compatable. the guy said "They are not compadible at all". I thought this was bullshit. I have seen bare bones systems with both of these in it on more than one site. After scratching my head for an hour i looked on the first page of the A8N-SLI user guide and found the number. It was saturday at 4pm. To my supprise they were in. It turns out the problem was my ram. I had the patriot ram just laying around so i thought i would use it for boot up, WRONG. this is a picky board. on page 2-12 in the maual it gives a list of compatible ram. The rep from asus told me to take out the stick in the blue spot that was the nearest to the cpu. WAMMO it worked. it booted right up and i installed windows. the rep stated to check in this order= ram, power supply, video card if an error happens on boot up. I plan on running 4gb of ram in it. the only compatible ram for 4gb is kingston double sided with this mother board. for now i only have 512(if i put the other stick in it does not work) so i cannot give a true performance review of it. I can say that asus rep was top notch(no wonder it is one of the most used mb out their). This fully loaded case weight is around 50 pounds. its a tank and i love the forced air wind tunnel that keeps the inverted cpu damn cool(i got a digital temp controller that reads the cpu, power supply, and hard drive). give me a couple of paychecks to get a real video card and ram and i will let you know how it works, but its pretty damn good so far. i love it :D. I already did my first mod. i cut a hole in the top of the case and put a 120mm in it. later i will add dual 500gb hard drives(one for sound and one for video).

I have seen in the last week a few people that were building their first computer and said they wanted this mb so i thought i would post this.
.so if you got this board and it gives 3 beeps on boot up try putting just one stick in the 3rd spot(its blue) from the cpu.

Last edited:
I don;t know all the specs of what works, but I know these boards are ultra picky, so with these you have to be careful.

Back