A weird little mic question...

Shepherd

Okay, here's the deal: I've been working on this books-on-tape project and a radio project lately using a Sony MD recorder. The radio project largely consists of walking around and talking out loud while recording myself with an MD recorder in my jacket pocket for future mixing and music-bedding.

I know it sounds nuts, but there y'go. You should see the way the neighbours look at me, especially since I live in Quebec and they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

The thing is, I have a pretty good Sony lapel mic I've been using for the walking-around part...but it's a little TOO good, and it picks up a lot of ambient noise as well. Cars going by, my footsteps, etc. I'd like to find something either more directional or with less of a range on it, preferably that could plug into an 1/8" mic jack on my MD recorder.

I don't mind a little bit of ambient sound -- footfalls on gravel sound nice, actually, there in the background -- but passing cars drown everything else out, and I don't really need to pick up on a barking dog three blocks away.

I hope I've done an adequate job describing the situation. Suggestions? Thanks!

Garth Brooks headset with a noise gate?

Brent Casey
PMI Oudio Graup
877-563-6335

Shepherd said:
Okay, here's the deal: I've been working on this books-on-tape project and a radio project lately using a Sony MD recorder. The radio project largely consists of walking around and talking out loud while recording myself with an MD recorder in my jacket pocket for future mixing and music-bedding.

I know it sounds nuts, but there y'go. You should see the way the neighbours look at me, especially since I live in Quebec and they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

The thing is, I have a pretty good Sony lapel mic I've been using for the walking-around part...but it's a little TOO good, and it picks up a lot of ambient noise as well. Cars going by, my footsteps, etc. I'd like to find something either more directional or with less of a range on it, preferably that could plug into an 1/8" mic jack on my MD recorder.

I don't mind a little bit of ambient sound -- footfalls on gravel sound nice, actually, there in the background -- but passing cars drown everything else out, and I don't really need to pick up on a barking dog three blocks away.

I hope I've done an adequate job describing the situation. Suggestions? Thanks!

I'm in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

That "Garth Brooks Headset" thing is a really neat idea... do you know what the "official" name is, so I can poke around the Web getting an idea of models and prices?

EDIT: Okay, typing "Garth Brooks Headset" into Google was actually really, really helpful. Never mind!

Back