A vocal revelation, I think?

badgas

I'm in the middle of recording some of my stuff.
Shortly I'll be adding some vocals.

I've never sang in a band before, only around the house or when I'm drunk or something. Of course, everyone says I have a good/endearing/unique/etc voice.

In other words, they don't want to tell me I sound like I'm farting in a bucket.

I know I'm not anygood at it.

Till now.
~ blinks ~
Almost.

Again, I'm no singer. I've had no experience at it. I've never paid that much attention to the vocal going's on. But, it's music. I've been playing guitar around forty years and just figured something out about vocals. I think.

I'd like someone's opinion on this. I know it works on a guitar, but I haven't recorded my vocals yet to see what it sounds like.

Here's what I did.

Everyone has some favorite keys to play/sing in. Mine are Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, Db. Hell, don't ask me why.
When I write a song, it's in one of those keys. But, when I try to sing, I sound like a finch caught in a cats claw or like I'm grunting in pain realy bad.

Anyway, I am working on a song, Woolton Church. I wrote it in G. It's entirely to high for me. A lower octave it too low. See, I have this really unique voice.
I was about to change the key, when I thought, Hmmm '!'

I left the song in G, and changed the mode of the vocals.
If ya don't know what I'm talking about, well, I'm sorry.
If ya do know what I'm talking about, Is this a correct way to tweak vocals? Like I'm playing in G, and have my vocals in a Phrygian or Dorian scale.

Am I out in left field here, or am I on or close a the right track.
Anyone know, I'd appreciate some input.
Thanks.

What a waste of a night this has been.
After I posted that up there, I recorded my self in a few other scales.

Haaa...
I sounded terrible. That idea must not work with my unique voice.
I ended up switching keys. Sounded better.

Need a better mic that that $400 mic I have though. It makes me sound bad.

Anyway, I don't think my idea will hold a note much less a measure. When I tried the other mode scales with my unique voice, it sounded like I was off key.

I really don't know why. It works with a guitar. Course, I don't pick out a melody either. That's probably the problem. The damn melody is messing my unique voice up really bad.

Anyway, sorry to take up so much space here with that revelation that happen to be revolting.
Don't bother reading this thread. You'll only waste your time.

He's talking about scale modes. That's where you play a C Major chord but your melody is starting on another note but stays in that scale. The simplest way is to play the relative minor scale over the major. i.e. Aminor over Cmajor.

Badgas use your capo to help find the key that works for the song. I have a 'unique' voice also and the capo has become my best friend.

I figure if Lou Reed can 'sing' than anybody can do it.

I wrote it in G. It's entirely to high for me. A lower octave it too low. See, I have this really unique voice. --badgas

Dude!!! I have the same problem!! NO vocal range!!
:D

I started trying to find vocalists I could sing along with and not sound entirely horrid. I can hit most of Jim Morrison's notes, ferinstance... maybe I should write songs in the keys the Doors used. (Then I'll just have to STAY in key... heh.)

Would going up or down a fifth work? (I'm really bad with the theory end of things...)

Tex is right about Lou Reed, and I'd include Bob Dylan... if all else fails, invent a unique vocal style that turns your flaws into advantages. I did this in my old band, sometimes being flat for effect, substituting death grunts for high notes a la Chuck Billy, doing the weirdo thing like Mike Patton, or adopting the monotone hardcore punk screaming style a la Ian MacKaye... But YMMV, especially if you're doing acoustic :)

Try to think above the note you are singing. It's much easier to come down to your note than to strain your gut and reach up to it. Hold your head up. Also work on being articulate in forming your words, it takes less breath. Alot of singers sing with their mouths almost shut to reach higher notes, you expel less air and that's pretty much what it's all about. Your voice is just another instrument and works on the same forced air principal as a pipe organ. Do breathing exercises. At the end of your air, you tend to strain your vocalcords and once that happens you lose. Just like your muscles during exercise you need to warm up before alot of stretching. Refrain from drinking real cold water. Practice, practice, practice and you'll do fine.

One trick if you have a low voice and limited range-

This may be obvious to some but if a song is in too high of a key use a capo and slowly move it up the neck. Sometimes by moving the song up a couple steps you bring the octave below the vocal melody into your lower range. Johnny Cash often does covers tuned a step or two up for this reason.

Back