A tune from my old band..

David

I got together with them last night though...it's been nearly a year, we had a great time. This tune was on a demo we had made, we recorded six tunes that day...well actualy four or five hrs:rolleyes: . I'd like to know what you guy's think of the drums mostly...do you think the room sounds ok? It was my first/only time i've ever recorded a live kit..(i'm going back there tho..real soon). They were 4 tom mic's 1 snare mic all 57's, beta 52 for kick and one over head at40/50 straight up the middle 2' above the rack. Everything was fed into a 24 mackie mixed on phones and the two mains into two tracks on an adat. I know that's not the way...and i'll do better next time:o . I didn't do the phone mix on the drums (bass player...his board:rolleyes: ) probably couldn't of done any better tho..was to busy with EVERYTHING else lol. I already know they're plenty issues on the mix...does the snare have a good tone in the room? Last song on the page "Out to hurt me" http://www.nowhereradio.com/david/singles

btw; thanks Kramer!

Great vocal man.

The snare was a little weak for me but I'm listening at work right now and I only have crappy headphones so I don't know if I'd listen to me right now :)

Love the ride on the 1 at 2:20. Ah, should have kept it going!

Nice tune, going to make a great driving song.

I think the snare could come out a bit. The cymbals kind of buried it. The one time I recorded drums in a real live studio the engineer told me to pund away at the drums. I thought he was kidding but he said I had to hit them as hard as I could or they wouldn't sound good. He was right. Not sure if that is an issue here but food for thought.

Cool tune though and great vocal track.

great mix for phones.. and that ld gtr sound on the solo. What a killer sound.

the drums are maybe a little cymbal heavy and the kit potentially low in volume in the mix, as the kick is kinda lost.

There are THOSE vocals again... allright!!

nice stuff.

I would like to wake up with your powerful voice one day! :) It would be awkward, but fun! :D

Mix: drums sound a little dry compared to the rest (mainly the vocal). Perhaps adding a little reverb might glue the parts together.

Vocals sometimes resonate in the (upper?) midranges (when you switch to falsetto). I'd try cutting some of those midranges.

The rest sounds fine.

Second listen: I don't really mind the dry drums anymore. LOL :)

Very cool! Funkier than your solo stuff. Great playing.

After 4 listens - The drums sound insconsistent. How many rides does he have? Sometimes the ride sounds too loud, sometimes too soft. Around 1:24 it almost sounds like a tape dropout, again at 2:22. I'm guessing he switched to a different ride farther away from the overhead mic. I think if you are going to record live drums you'll find it well worth it to get stereo overheads. I'm working on a whole bunch of tunes tracked over a couple years. The early ones were before getting stereo overheads and they're so much harder to mix.

Other drum comments - could probably use more kick. Snare could use a little more pop.

Mix in general - could use more bass (this is funky - let's have some bottom!). I'd like to hear more guitar than keys, but that's personal preference.

Great energy! Great playing and singing as usual. Sounds fun to play!

Sounds mighty fine to me David. if you were to change anything maybe, back the cymbals a little , add little more oomph on the kick and snare for me, but you know how I am. Good stuff..

Great voice as usual. Nice power. I liked the guitar solos.

I agree with a couple of comments about the drums - too much cymbal and not quite enough snare.

I heard the vocal clipping in a few spots.

General mix comment - maybe not enough low end and a bit too much midrange.

Real tight performances. In general, very good job.

Trip...

Me likes a lot. Listenening on phones at work.

Voice = excellent

Band sounds great. Only real complaint I have after several listenes is I can't really hear the kick very well.

Another keeper for me.

Nice work.

lynx;
Nice tune, going to make a great driving song.
LOL!..yeah man, we *never ever* had played it this fast before..it's like 190mph! I pitched it down just a bit but not near enough. Yeah the snare is to low, and not enough kick etc.. other things too...all I have to work with is two trks...I won't make that mistake again:) . I appreaciate it lynx!

Track Rat; Glad ya dig it T/R, thanks for the listen!

ashulman;
I think the snare could come out a bit. The cymbals kind of buried it. The one time I recorded drums in a real live studio the engineer told me to pund away at the drums. I thought he was kidding but he said I had to hit them as hard as I could or they wouldn't sound good. He was right. Not sure if that is an issue here but food for thought.
Good calls man, yeah this isn't my main drummer..not for recording anyway's, although we've done a few together. I enjoy playing live with him, but he drives me crazy trying to record him:D . Thanks a lot ash!

mixmkr;
great mix for phones.. and that ld gtr sound on the solo. What a killer sound.
I'm sure everyone that's listened to this and has heard me know's that's not me doing the solo:) I *wished* it was me, guess I should'a mentioned that though. I appreaciate ya mix!

Ped;
I would like to wake up with your powerful voice one day! It would be awkward, but fun!
I know your just being nice...but right back at'cha man :D LOL!! I hear ya on the midrange, I called myself trying to back off some...guess just not enough. Thanks for yer ears Ped!

fprod south;
The drums sound insconsistent.
Yep, they are indeed.
How many rides does he have?
hehe!, hell i guess it's just one man...unless he snuck one in on me:D . 10/4 on the stereo overheads, i'll have to try and get another one somehow. Many Thanks south!

Toki987;
Sounds mighty fine to me David. if you were to change anything maybe, back the cymbals a little
Wished I could Kenny, all I have is a stereo mix of the kit. Thanks for the listen bro!

Guernica; Glad ya liked it Mike, Thanks!

Jagular; Thanks for the listen Jag! How's your new set-up comming along?

*disclaimer*
1. I only played one of the rhythm gtr's and did the vox.
2. I only have a stereo mix of the drums, so pulling anything up or down in the mix is out of the question.
3. Was mainly wanting to know if the acoustic's of the "room' was decent enough to record drums.
4. You guy's ROCK, and i'm sorry I didn't make this more clear'er:D

haha, thanks cat's!
{edit}
Trip; whoa' sorry i missed ya man...it's been two monday's this week. Yeah vocals might of clipped in a couple spots man...thanks for the listen Trip!

Last edited:
70's rock... YEAH!! Aw... the sound of ... PHAT.

Drums sound beautiful and balanced. Your vocs off to the right side? Mmmmm.... interesante :)

Really skillful musicians here... listen to that bassman. Drummer... keyboardist... gtrs... the whole package.

Pretty good recording. Eh. I like the ride. Sue me :)

Wahr wahr wahr wahr.... jeez.... nothing to bitch about... or not much. LOVE the phat feel this puts in my ears... So, it's not midscooped and hyped like radio tracks... it FEELS good :D

C

Sounds good to me. Drums don't seem to have too much in the bottom freq range, maybe could be beefed up a bit.

Cool mix. Vocals sounded great. I really like it when I hear typically center panned tracks out onthe left or the right.

participant said:
70's rock... YEAH!! Aw... the sound of ... PHAT.

Drums sound beautiful and balanced. Your vocs off to the right side? Mmmmm.... interesante :)

Really skillful musicians here... listen to that bassman. Drummer... keyboardist... gtrs... the whole package.

Pretty good recording. Eh. I like the ride. Sue me :)

Wahr wahr wahr wahr.... jeez.... nothing to bitch about... or not much. LOVE the phat feel this puts in my ears... So, it's not midscooped and hyped like radio tracks... it FEELS good :D

C
"Your vocs off to the right side?" damn Chad i'm so deaf, yeah they are:eek: . I haven't listened to this since I posted it...should of went in for a hearing test today instead of a "stress test":) . Wow, I hear it now..must of bumped it a bit in the heat of things. Thanks for the head's up man, tracking and mixing in the same day just don't mix eh?:D I got's to remember this somehow;) Thanks Chad!

Doug H; thanks partner, yeah the drums are kinda soft in the bottom freq range..can't do anything about it at this point though. Thanks for the listen Doug, much appreciated!

Yeah I would go with the not enough lo end comments. Its almost there but needs some punch.

Vocal - Seems a little out in front and all alone for some reason. Like it was drastically in a different sonic space. Also a little too much effects on the vocal. Does not seem quite tied to the sound of the rest of the band. The singing was great though. Just not mixed the way I would have done.

Overall, great effort though. Very enjoyable tune.

Pretty damn good for a quick n' dirty 2-track drum mix on phones.

Snare would sound better if it got hit harder, and more consistently. Same for the kick.;)

Band is tight, tune is groovin', and your singing is great as usual.:)

great song! Good recording too, but I think you forgot to unmute the bass drum!:D

great guitar solos and tone.. organ is sweet.. vocals kick ass as usual! I like this one even more than your usual.. bass is great too.. good one!! Could use a bit more bottom, but it sounds good as is.. the toms sound a bit dead.. almost like Evans hydraulic skins.. damn fine tune!

Vocal - Seems a little out in front and all alone for some reason. Like it was drastically in a different sonic space.
Middleman; BUSTED!:eek: :D . Yeah that's spot on man, was waiting for that one. Vocals were done in my crap bedroom, i'm moving back out there though real soon:) . I appreciate ya man!

Snare would sound better if it got hit harder, and more consistently. Same for the kick.
M.Brane; yeah it kinda got "Butchered" eh?:D don't be such a damn Nazi man:D hehe! You know I appreciate it Alan!

B.SABBATH;
great song! Good recording too, but I think you forgot to unmute the bass drum!
Damn, another drum Nazi:D !! I hear ya man, i'm gonna make ya proud when I get back to that studio I tracked these in..I hope:) I'm sure he needs some heads, I'll tell him;) . Thanks a million Sam!

Back