A tube mic into a tube preamp?

octoruss

Hola amigos,

This may be a dumb question, but I got a SP TB-1 microphone for Christmas. That has a separate power supply. Is there any problems with plugging this into my tube amp? If not, I assume I should use phantom power with the mic? Or should I not use phantom power?

It would be a lot easier just to not use the dedicated power supply, freeing up a plug and stuff? :)

Tube mics have their own power supply (for the most part). You don't use the phantom power from a preamp to power them.

Track Rat is right(darn it!) You must use the power that came with it and don't turn the phantom on
In HIs Name
Big Kenny

48v of phantom power is insufficient to power a tube mic, which is why it comes with a dedicated power supply and a multi-pin cable. It does not matter whether your preamp has tubes in it or not.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
48v of phantom power is insufficient to power a tube mic, which is why it comes with a dedicated power supply and a multi-pin cable.

Of course, there's exceptions to most things... The Microtech Gefell UM 900 is a tube mic that uses phantom power to power it.

QUOTE]Originally posted by ChristopherDawn
And I believe turning on the phantom power with a tube mic plugged in could damage the mic.[/QUOTE]

It can happen given the right tube mic and/or the right circumstances, but I've never had a problem.

It doesn't hurt my NTK to have the phantom power switched on. It doesn't need it, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything either.

Blessings, Terry

It would take a pretty unusual combination of circumstances or a tube mic to be damaged by phantom power. Fletcher explained to me how it could happen (on another forum) but, unfortunately, I can't remember what he said. I think with any modern tube mic you are completely safe.

Back