A soundproofing alternative please...

Javo

Hi, I'm making my homerecording studio in a bedroom. The bedroom has a carpeted floor, and the acoustics I think can be improved but I don't detect any standing waves or reverberation. The problem I have is that I live in a place in front of a river and there are many crickets chirping at night plus local frogs that make a damn high pitch chorus, there are too many... Ok, I'm considering buying a condenser microphone (large diaphragm) but I've heard about those mics, and it seems I need a soundproof alternative before attempting to record with a condenser mic. I forgot to tell that the room has a window about 7' x 5' where the sound enters, the window shades are metal, when I close them I have found that the external noise reduces by about 11 dB. But it still can be heard and my dynamic mic captures the crickets so a condenser will make a trash recording as I understand. How can I proceed? forget about condensers? Soundproof the windows? but how? record during the day?[no crickets (sorry can't do that)] Oh, I record in a computer also inside my bedroom will it be too noisy? if yes how can I silence the computer? Damn there are too many questions...
Please if someone can give me an alternative. I appreciate the suggestions given in these type of forums... thanks in advance.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer two them. First, a LD condenser will pick up a lot more ambient noise than a dynamic mic. The computer will make noise too if it has a fan in it. You will surely pick that up.

There are two ways around computer noise. One is to build an iso box to put it in--do a search here and you will find some suggestions. Just remember--the computer needs to have air flow to run cool. Don't just stick it in a box or it will burn up. The other way around the problem is get a laptop and a firewire interface. No fan--no noise.

As for your window problem, I've never tackled that sort of thing. In the room I record in, there are tons of crickets outside in the summer but I don't hear them. I think that is because I have storm windows in addition to my regular windows. The extra pane of glass cuts that outside noise considerably. So you might try adding an external storm window--double pane would be even better. That should cut down on the crickets considerably--as long as they are just seeping through your current window and not the walls and other rooms, etc.

Dumb question prob

This is prob a stupid question but what types of applications are you using the condenser mic for? If your recording drums or loud guitar i would think that the crickets wouldnt be a problem. I guess you still have to worry when you want to record vocals or quieter sections. Maybe get inside your closet or something? just a thought

It's time for some Raid Yard-Guard.

That stuff really works. If it doesn't kill them, they will sure be leaving in a hurry. Last for a couple three hours if the wind isn't strong.

Try getting some thick blankets and creating a makeshift iso booth. Like the guy said, if you can go in your closet, that would probably be a good spot. Be creative.

Scott

Damn! Sennheiser beat me to the pesticide joke...

I'm about to do the same thing in my new place, so I'll be watching this thread as well. Thanks for starting it man :D

Actually, I was wondering ...does anyone think cutting a section of foam board to fit inside the window jams would help enough?

If the cricket chirps are coming throught the window only it couldn't hurt to cut a 5/8" sheet of drywall or soundboard the size of the window opening and glueing Auralex or Sonex to the outside side.

Anything would probably help. Including the Yard-Guard.

Ah, I had a very similar challenge in my studio. My solution worked very well, even though my window is smaller. I actually built a baffle that fits into the window. Like yourself I prefered to keep the window, so I made the baffle removable.

It depends on how deep the recess that your window is in, but with w a window that large I assume that you have an inner frame to work with.

The baffle I built began with a frame made of 2 x 4's. I put sound dampening board (bought at a contractor grade Home Depot) on one side, filled the inside with regular house insulation (R-19, I think) and then sealed it with another sound deadening board. Finally I covered the whole thing with light blue quilted material, bought at Walmart.

These sound deadening boards are very light in weight, , much lighter than sheet rock, but the baffle is still a bit heavy so it would be a bit cumbersome to take in and out, but that can be done. You could use 1" x 2"s for the framing instead which would make a difference.

My results were excellent. In my case I was looking to keep the drum sound IN, and it really worked quite well. So a few crickets should be no problem...

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be recording vocals, acoustic and electric guitar and bass guitar... I think I will use foam as a sound deadener for my computer, and I'm giving thought about heavy curtains hanging from top of the roof to the floor to cover the window. I can't go with the raid or blackflag option killing crickets, since I'm on a 4th floor and the crickets and frogs are in a river outside... so I need other options. Do you think with a SM-57 or 58 I can leave the background noise out and still have clear studio quality vocals and guitars? Thanks for your responses. I'm also considering buying the DMP-3 does it stands out better than the SP VTB-1

P.S. By the way the raid-yard option was a funny one. Thanks Sennheiser for your humor... hehe

Javo said:

P.S. By the way the raid-yard option was a funny one. Thanks Sennheiser for your humor... hehe

:confused: I thought it was a perfectly serious suggestion. I've certainly reached for the Raid when I've had crickets get IN my house... it's just a matter of exanding the perimeter...

Littledog is correct. I was (deadly ) serious with my suggestion about the Raid Yard-Guard.

It's unfortunate that you are on the fourth floor and can still hear these little buggers. Be glad they aren't cicadeas(sp) hanging on a branch outside your window. You'd never even get any sleep, much less any recording done.

Heavy, heavy drapes. Multiple layers would be better and you can get cheap material at almost any cloth store.

You could also put velcro tabs up around the windows and stick up some heavy moving blankets before recording.

gaurdian, i'm considering doing the same at my place... my drums can be heard five houses down. what can you tell me about your 'sound deadening boards?' are they rockwall or sheetrock or whatever it is they keep talking about in the studio building forum? in other words, what exactly do i ask for when i go to homedepot or whatever? how much did these things run you, in the end? how thick are the boards on either side? (i need to measure properly so it wont stick out of the frame too much) Also, how tight a fit is your contraption to the frame? i imagine too much space would be a pain in many ways, but too little and it's cutting it close... can you give me any other relevant advice? and how successful are these things at doing what they're for?

also.. what are some good materials to make drapes out of? right now there are only some very thin cloth drapes over the windows around my kit, which i was considering replacing for aestetics anyway.

I have double pane windows and sound used to still come into my room so I bought a couple of moving blankets (available at Home Depot type store). That did it! The room is quiet enough now to use my condensers.

the crickets are present INSIDE my basement studio!

i record EVERYTHING with large condensers.

if im recording acoustic guitar or vocal i bang on my drum set and they usually shut up for a little while.

doesnt bother me too much.

i got washer dryer hvac dehumidifier lawnmowers squeaky overhead floors ppls hollering and all kinds of noise to contend with.

i used to use a noise gate but i stopped and now i find i dont need it.

noise is not a problem like i thought it would be.

i have to say however that my room has a lot of foam and acoustic panels and makeshift bass traps.

:)

the acoustic folk music of elmer wigglesby

Thanks again for the suggestions. Now I will try to give the moving blankets a try, if not, then heavy drapes hanging from the roof covering the whole window, I think it will get rid of all the cicadas, frogs, crickets, muppets, etc.

And I think I will get a SP C1 soon too.

I have a solution

Well, I've seen this done in studios that I've recorded at.

If you are recording electric guitar, simply put the mic about 2 feet from the amp, and cover all sides with loose foam. Just lay foam around it, til it's covered up. Works great. Hope this helps. I don't know what you'd do for acoustic or vocals, but just a thought!

Back