A song inspired by Yes /pink floyd

MusicalSound

hey I was just in my studio the other night trying to come up with some song ideas. I tracked this through a 1978 Teac M15 board (1976 Univox Ec-80 tape echo at the effects loop), 1978 Teac 80-8 machine (with noise reducion), early '70s Scotch 203 1/2" tape. Then I sub-mixed the whole things to a 1974 Pioneer RT1050 2-track mastering deck at 15 ips (sadly no noise reduction at the mastering deck). Bouncing down to 1/4" two-track definitely adds a sound, cause the pioneer definitely sounds different from the Teac 80-8 believe it or not

I love the stereo effect in the echo and modulation. The drums sound a little weak to my ears, but I've heard that before in this style and it might fit perfectly with what you're trying to do. I found myself listening to the bass mostly, lots of cool stuff going on there.

I really dig this tune....you're doing a good job with the late 60's early 70's vibe.

I think the timing of the rhythm guitar could be fixed up a little...seems to rush/drag against the drums at times. And I also think the drums could be fattened up a bit, but then again like guitarmonkus said, I've heard that kind of thing before and it's got a cool sound. If that's what you're going for then cool.

Nice job.

Some drum clams...or just timing problems somewhere. You've definitely mastered a mid 1960's psychedelic recording style. Some of the snare rolls sound distorted when the kick drum hits, so I'm not sure what's causing that, but I thought I'd mention that it's noticeable.

There are some timing issues between the guitars and the drums in the intro. The highs seem to be distorted too, like the treble was pushed too hard on the snare.

Love the bass tone and the bass playing. Guitar sounds great as well. There's something that I don't like about the drum sound, maybe it's just that distortion...but the snare sounds a little weak. The reverb over to the right gets distracting after a while, maybe move it around a bit after a while to keep it from getting fatiguing.

Nice song though, and it sounds dead on from the era. Nice little change-up at the end too. I dig what you're doing.

I like the modulation and echo also, agree with others about the drums not being quite in time. It gets really good though towards the middle, I enjoyed that part a lot, for all the 'problems' it has an amazing vibe to it, lovely smooth sound in the high end, not fatiguing to listen to at all.

Guitar and bass interplay is cool.It has a very genuine early 70 vibe to it.
What did you use for drums?It sounds like your playing them live on a keyboard.Also sounds like it's only snare and kick, which is actually quite interesting.
As mentioned before, there's some distortion happening somewhere.
Pretty damn cool ideas.

from chris harris to beezlebub, thanks for the commentary negative or positive. im certainly more concerned with negatives than positives these days. The drums are so hard to record in analog, super sensitive. One day they're fat sounding, next day they're thin but the things is I have to run back and forth to get a drum sound cause the mixer is in a control room. so it's tough without having an "engineer in the room" as your ears. the drums are early 70s Pearls I bought at a panw shop in Ocean beach San Diego. There are cymbals, they just can't be heard for some reason. this is them

Attachments

• top12.jpg
    top12.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1.jpg.opt800x600o0,0s800x600.jpg
    1.jpg.opt800x600o0,0s800x600.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 37
I'm pretty sure the reason the bass sounds so queer is because it's recorded to outside track (track 1). I dunno who has much experience with vintage 1/2" tape, but track 1 and 8 can be roughed up badly because of the edges. This is a particularly BAD reel of '70s scotch 203 loaded with drop-outs. I have other '70s 1/2" tapes that perform much better, even ones from the mid 60s that held up nicer.

I like this. It definitely has a vintage film vibe to it. Can you walk us through how you get your reverb on this track?

Back