A song dedicated to Steve Clark of Def Leppard RIP

yorgo

I loved Steve Clarks playing. He was a riff master and a great melody blues guitarist. The riff made me think of leppard and steve and once I started noodling over the chords for a solo, I thought of Steve.

As for mixing....bass is what kept me in mixing hell. There is a frequency that is driving me nuts but I couldn't find it????

https://soundcloud.com/fernando-t-5/when-tomorrow-comes

I myself always appreciated Clark's playing.

I don't hear a frequency in the bass guitar (is that what you meant?) that is offensive. What I hear is lack of a kick drum that supports it. The low end in general is not driving the tune in any way. Sad, because there is some really good stuff there.

Also the lead guitar sounds thin (tinny) to me and the vocals are very limited in frequency range. They don't have the 'balls' needed to get this song presented correctly IMO. The shimmer and vocal performance is there, but it sounds -again 'thin' in the mix.

I would suggest working more of the lower mids into the vocals and getting more punch out of the low end of the bass and kick drum and see where that leads you. Then bring some more of the typically known as 'muddy' frequencies to the guitar solo track. There is room for it if the low end is working with the kick and bass guitar.

I really like the tune man. I think you are close. It seems to me it may be a room or monitoring issue on your side. The mix sounds pretty well balanced, just not eq'd correctly in the right areas for some things. In my main monitors, it sounds like I am listening on the set of computer speakers I have here for reference.

Keep messing with it man! Look forward to hearing it be what it should be. :)

I myself always appreciated Clark's playing.

I don't hear a frequency in the bass guitar (is that what you meant?) that is offensive. What I hear is lack of a kick drum that supports it. The low end in general is not driving the tune in any way. Sad, because there is some really good stuff there.

Also the lead guitar sounds thin (tinny) to me and the vocals are very limited in frequency range. They don't have the 'balls' needed to get this song presented correctly IMO. The shimmer and vocal performance is there, but it sounds -again 'thin' in the mix.

I would suggest working more of the lower mids into the vocals and getting more punch out of the low end of the bass and kick drum and see where that leads you. Then bring some more of the typically known as 'muddy' frequencies to the guitar solo track. There is room for it if the low end is working with the kick and bass guitar.

I really like the tune man. I think you are close. It seems to me it may be a room or monitoring issue on your side. The mix sounds pretty well balanced, just not eq'd correctly in the right areas for some things. In my main monitors, it sounds like I am listening on the set of computer speakers I have here for reference.

Keep messing with it man! Look forward to hearing it be what it should be. :)

Yes i agree. I farted around with this mix for quite a while. It was driving me nuts, because at the end of tyhe day it may not be the damn bass giving me the problem but some of the other intruments/vocals. And you were right on. I did drive out a lot of the low end from most tracks especially the lead.

I need a break form this tune for now but after i sound treat my room, I will revisit it. Great points great advice and thanks for listening.
Cheers

I can't really critique the mix cause I'm listening on ear bud headphones, so I'll just comment on the song and perfoemance.
Great work man. You really nailed that 80 ' van Halen style vocal/guitar style. Great guitar work for sure. Great vocal performance too. Very tight performance all the way around.

Back