A song about prions

akpcep

Hello all.

Could you have a listen to this and let me know what you think, both mixing and songcraft/arrangement etc?

It's a song about prions.

Thanks!

Hello all.

Could you have a listen to this and let me know what you think, both mixing and songcraft/arrangement etc?

It's a song about prions.

Thanks!

Wow, I don't have time to listen to this right now, but prions are something that my son mentioned to me recently. He's smart and it's over me head, but I'll give the song a listen. Maybe I'll send it to him. He's in Brazil for three months doing cancer research. (he's only 20 years old)

And he's my son, go figure.

Wig:)

I found the lyrics pretty clever and the song was interesting, especially if you're into science, or things of such a nature.

Perhaps this song falls in a genre of music that i am not too familiar with (note that i pretty much missed all of the 70's and 80's music) but it sounded like 80's music to me. I personally found the vocals a tad corny, but i tend to prefer more melodious works with harmonies, so take that with a grain of salt. Good vocal performance though.

I thought that the mix was good, certainly better than i could do. The only thing i would have liked to hear more of is a stronger / fuller / heavier kick from the percussion.

:) My mom is a microbiologist, and i'm sure she will love this song when i refer her to it.

Hey thanks for the feedback guys, not sure how scientifically accurate it is, but I did try to keep it educational!

Hearing you regarding the kick drum sound, and I think I'm going to rework the lyrics to the second verse, but you were bang on, I was going for an 80s new wave/PiL kind of feel.

Recording's pretty good. Problem is the bass fighting with the kick. I listened to this with my sub on and the bass has a bit too much low end, making it sound boomy and drowning out the kick. I would carve out a bit of that low end on the bass. The song has a good arrangement and it's played and sung very well. Reminded me of Talking Heads and B52's.

Well it certainly educated me...I had no idea what Prions are and I simply thought you had mis spelled 'A song about Prison'. :)

As Joey said above...the first thing that came to my mind was the B52's and I enjoyed listening to your song as much. I also think the bass is a little bit much, though I don't really think it needs rolling off, more just turning down a bit.
Great song and a refreshing change. Thanks for sharing...

Mart.

The instrumentation and mixing sound good, and I like the idea of the song.

They lyrics do sound pretty corny though. Your vocalist sounds less like a rapper singing about prions and more like a biology professor trying to rap. It's a subtle (and perhaps very subjective) difference, but I think it's an important distinction.

Back