A Song A Day....

northsiderap

A Song A Day.... Metal Fusion Stuff... Comments Welcome

Here's a song...

Me on all the instruments, cuz I'm living in what could be compared to Arctic Siberia but with more conservative people around. I improv'd the guitar line first, then layered drums, bass, and VOX in that order. No, I don't write it down anywhere or usually do second takes x'cept on vocals.

The vocals were originally for this bouncy happy folksy kinda thing, but they were laying on my desktop so they fell victim to this groove.

Recorded in my bedroom studio... Mastered through cheap headphones cuz' the woman is sleeping :(

Drums: Friend's Pearl with SM58s and Oktava MK012s through Melcor, Dukane, and Studiomaster preamps. I seem to always lose the snare a bit...

Guitar: My Les Paul through a very old crate 2x12 head mounted on a blown speaker which is bolted onto an old metal filing cabinet; recorded through a Fairchild mic pre with a mic that I threw together out of spare parts.

Bass: Washburn 5 string direct

Vocals: AKG C414 through Fairchild preamp. Quietly as not to wake the girlfriend.

I think I'm approaching around 300 of these songs that I've sketched out in the last couple of years. Some better some worse... This one is pretty average with some shining parts some loose stuff too. One or two of them have been released on usually short-run disks or compilations. A few college radio stations have written for permission to play my stuff.

As for my life in music, it's mostly as a producer/session man.. Hard to find a band 'round these parts.

Last edited:
Can't really judge with these headphones so I wasn't gonna reply but I'll give it a try with them I guess. Not a bad mix. Bass drum sounds good and overheads aren't too overpowering. Bass in these headphones is a bit lost, but I'm guessing the mix really calls for that. The snare drum is very very very lost. What kind of post mixing options do you have? I have many ways to get those drums to sound killer if I know what you have...

More detail please.

Ben

Listening on headphones....The mix is pretty good except the snare could come up which was said before. Pretty original tune with lots of stuff going on. I like how you fill the mix with the vocals guitar bass and drums and make it sound really big. Sorry haven't commented earlier but I was at work....

Another Thread - - -

I just started another thread with snare mic'ing suggestions

Here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=1789878#post1789878

As for mixing options, I could do just about anything at this point. Unfortunately, I don't have a Neve or SSL to mix down through..

I was thinking about bussing 8-9 busses out of my soundcard and doing the rest of the mixing analog if anyone thinks that's worth the trouble. Then back to digital for mastering... Who knows?

No mix comments, but I like the song. Best bits: octave vocals, slowing of tempo. Ok, maybe a little less reverb on the vocal.

the bass drum is ALMOST completely inaudible ..and the brass(cymbals) is just a tad too loud /bright

yeah the vocals would stand out way more if all you did was reduce that reverb some...

i really like the droning guitar riff tho ...

i would work on the drums first ...i really think this song would benefit from a thumping kit ...

remix-repost!

later ,
J.

I get a The doors feel from this song, good playing.

I think the vox should have stayed the same all the way, also in the chorus, the opening vox were really cool.
The vox started out Jim Morrison and ended up Axl, great work man.
The tune is cool, almost a bit 80`s Bowie, the sound is good and original.
I cant think of much to critisize, this is really good work. :)

Cool, dirgy tune. I like it, as it has a sort of garage feel to it. Sounds like someone just playing, and digging it. nice vibe to the tune.
Ed

northsiderap said:
Mastered through cheap headphones...
AHHHH!!!!!!!!

The bass guitar is getting in the way of the bass drum, I think. Try cutting similar frequencies in one or the other and see how it changes. As for the snare, have you tried a bunch of different mic'ing techniques? I've only once mic'd a snare so I can't give you any personal advice, but it does sound like a placement issue to me.

EDIT: LOVE the dirty sound the guitar makes. Kind of reminds me of when I accidentally knock the level slider on my EQ pedal up, which goes into my Rat with dying batteries. :rolleyes:

Back