A Solid Synth?

Masters Of War

I've been playing on a casio ctk-671 for a few years now and feel I'm ready to move on to something with a little more meat. My main instrument is guitar, but I'd love to flesh out my recordings with some decent organ/key/synth tracks. Price is my main restriction, $400-$500. From what I hear the alesis micron is pretty good, but the thing looks so damn flimsy, can anyone vouch for this synth? How does the micron stack up against the microkorg, or is there any other synth in my price range someone could suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I recorded a band recently that uses an Alesis Micron and was thouroughly impressed with its' sound. I've been considering getting one since then. I've used a Moog, Roland Juno and Korg X2 in the past. The Micron reminds me of the Moog & Juno but with a lot less needed tweaking. The pre-set patches are very good and there's plenty of room to change the sounds in real time. I haven't heard the MicroKorg yet but I imagine it would be pretty hard to beat the Micron for the price(?)

the micron sounds very good - probably best bang for the buck. Very tweakable, better sounding than the Korg MS2000

Masters Of War said:
So the micron is no good?

I'm not dissing the micron...I was just commenting that with $400-$500 to spend (especially if buying new) I would take a look at (put it on my short list) the Yamaha S03 (because Yamaha is a reputable synth maker, it's a modern synth that is now in production, it has 61 keys and 64-note polyphony)

Atterion's suggestion, the Korg N364, would interest me because it has a sequencer and disk-drive; one could make full-sounding instrumental songs, or backing tracks, and save them to disk without the need of a computer (It also has 61 keys, 64-note polyphony, and it probably sounds good because it's a Korg)...by going used you could get extra "goodies" for the same money.

The micron probably has great sounds and is very "tweakable"...I'm sure it is the exact solution to some players' needs, and it probably will do the job for you (adding organ/key/synth tracks to your music)...I'm into having 61 keys and doing full sequencing so it wouldn't be my first choice.

mawtangent said:
I'm not dissing the micron...I was just commenting that with $400-$500 to spend (especially if buying new) I would take a look at (put it on my short list) the Yamaha S03 (because Yamaha is a reputable synth maker, it's a modern synth that is now in production, it has 61 keys and 64-note polyphony)

Atterion's suggestion, the Korg N364, would interest me because it has a sequencer and disk-drive; one could make full-sounding instrumental songs, or backing tracks, and save them to disk without the need of a computer (It also has 61 keys, 64-note polyphony, and it probably sounds good because it's a Korg)...by going used you could get extra "goodies" for the same money.

The micron probably has great sounds and is very "tweakable"...I'm sure it is the exact solution to some players' needs, and it probably will do the job for you (adding organ/key/synth tracks to your music)...I'm into having 61 keys and doing full sequencing so it wouldn't be my first choice.

What he said... :D :p :D

I've been looking around and found I can get a used ion on ebay for about the same price as a new micron. What are the main differences between the micron and the ion? Is it real risky buying a used synth over the internet?

Back