A short dance track for your consideration

cashcohen

Jewnior Member
Here's a little instrumental house-ish dance track for your listening (dis)pleasure. I got tired of singing and guitaring and recording, so I fired up the old FL Studio and gave it my best shot.

All critique, comments, feedback on mixing and content = very much appreciated. It's only two minutes long....more of a BEAT than a full-fledged song.

http://www.box.net/shared/jyfbnuvbru

Last edited:
Where's the play button??? That site spams me with popups and other assorted filth. The banner that x's out the ads brings...more popup ads. Grrrrr. And the play button is buried somewhere.

Can you upload on Boxnet or soundclick??? XO

Where's the play button??? That site spams me with popups and other assorted filth. The banner that x's out the ads brings...more popup ads. Grrrrr. And the play button is buried somewhere.

Can you upload on Boxnet or soundclick??? XO

Oh, shit, sorry. When I click the link, it works fine. There should be a link that says "Click here to start download". I will try another site, though.

My biggest nit is that it doesn't have a bass. OK I'm listening on phones so maybe in a club you would hear it but, if there is one, it's buried way too far beneath that kick.

Otherwise it's well produced and recorded but I'd like to see more layering, more experimentation with the groove that you have built the tune around. If you're not going to break away from the chord sequence (as such), I think you have to break away from the method of delivery, even just for a few bars.

I think there are other unexplored opportunities to overlay other melodies on the riff.

I feel obliged to end this post with a smilie!:)

My biggest nit is that it doesn't have a bass. OK I'm listening on phones so maybe in a club you would hear it but, if there is one, it's buried way too far beneath that kick.

Otherwise it's well produced and recorded but I'd like to see more layering, more experimentation with the groove that you have built the tune around. If you're not going to break away from the chord sequence (as such), I think you have to break away from the method of delivery, even just for a few bars.

I think there are other unexplored opportunities to overlay other melodies on the riff.

I feel obliged to end this post with a smilie!:)

Thanks for the reply! I agree with all of your suggestions.

You're right, there is no bass....I need to add some bass for sure, but I always get tripped up when trying to get a good bass sound in electronic music.

And yes, it is insanely repetitive. This is only an idea that I want to build more around.

So, I will add some bass, and some variation, and then re-post. :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply! I agree with all of your suggestions.

You're right, there is no bass....I need to add some bass for sure, but I always get tripped up when trying to get a good bass sound in electronic music.

And yes, it is insanely repetitive. This is only an idea that I want to build more around.

So, I will add some bass, and some variation, and then re-post. :)

Thanks again!

dude the bass should be the anchor thats you build the whole track on...its the first part of the recipe.....i wish it was the bass bits I had trouble with :)

saying that you have the basis of a track here....my only worry is that your using generic presets??

you need to filter some of those synth sounds just to give them some movement....at the moment its lying flat...and your drop is way too loud, im on phones and I nearly shat myself ;)

try using two kick samples...one to cover the sub and one that has a click...give the sub a bit more reverb and it should whoomph..

but without the bass its hard to comment as its relationship with the kick will ultimately determine whether this track works or not

most electronic musicians work from a few bars that make the busiest part of the track..then work their way out...make a plan...you know, 8 to 16 bars intro and build into 32 bars before the first mini break, another 32 before the big drop..then build it up again..its all about having a plan (a good tip is to dissect your favourite track to see how it was built)

keep at it cc, good work :)

Last edited:
Holy crap, there's a lot of good advice here, kc. I appreciate it.

dude the bass should be the anchor thats you build the whole track on...its the first part of the recipe.....i wish it was the bass bits I had trouble with :)

Yeah, I always avoid the bass because I suck ass at programming bass parts. I also suck ass at getting a good bass sound. But avoiding bass in dance music is like avoiding offense in a duel. Perhaps if I start with just the bass and kick when crafting my tune, things will turn out better. Trying to slip the bass into the mix after all is said and done is near-impossible! :eek:

saying that you have the basis of a track here....my only worry is that your using generic presets??

You caught me with the presets. :o I thought I'd try using an additive synthesizer (Morphine) for the first time, and the whole thing was too goddamn complex for me to figure out my own sounds. You're right, though. presets = lame.

you need to filter some of those synth sounds just to give them some movement....at the moment its lying flat...and your drop is way too loud, im on phones and I nearly shat myself ;)

Yeah, I need movement. I s'pose I'll start by playing around with some automation filters on the equalization? This is something that tends to trip me up as well.... And I was wondering about that drop.... :D

try using two kick samples...one to cover the sub and one that has a click...give the sub a bit more reverb and it should whoomph..

Actually, right now I'm using 3 layered kick samples, and 4 for the last 16 bars. Maybe I need to think simpler.... and the reverb is a good tip....I'll try it out.

but without the bass its hard to comment as its relationship with the kick will ultimately determine whether this track works or not

most electronic musicians work from a few bars that make the busiest part of the track..then work their way out...make a plan...you know, 8 to 16 bars intro and build into 32 bars before the first mini break, another 32 before the big drop..then build it up again..its all about having a plan (a good tip is to dissect your favourite track to see how it was built)

This is all great advice. I understand the grave importance of the kick-bass relationship but don't appreciate it. I must learn.

I've never thought about working my way from dense to light. I've always started with the sparse sections and added from there. But your way makes more sense, because if I can get the dense areas to sound good, odds are the sparse sections will as well.

keep at it cc, good work :)
Psh, good work, yeah right. But thanks. I'll keep at it. I've never been very serious about making electronic music, but I love it to death. And now that I've switched my college major to electronic music, I best get crackin'! :)

Holy crap, there's a lot of good advice here, kc. I appreciate it.

the whole purpose of the mp3 clinic :)

Yeah, I always avoid the bass because I suck ass at programming bass parts. I also suck ass at getting a good bass sound. But avoiding bass in dance music is like avoiding offense in a duel. Perhaps if I start with just the bass and kick when crafting my tune, things will turn out better. Trying to slip the bass into the mix after all is said and done is near-impossible! :eek:

i just find it wierd, generally its the easiest part.....you build up from that bass...if you dont then who fucking cares...youve chosen a new way :)

You caught me with the presets. :o I thought I'd try using an additive synthesizer (Morphine) for the first time, and the whole thing was too goddamn complex for me to figure out my own sounds. You're right, though. presets = lame.

i can spot them a mile of mate...they're flat, the have no movement...learning synthesis is harder than getting a good guitar tone, though the traditional musicians would never admit it.....just muck about..morphine is a great additive synth, its as good as a hardware machine..youve got a velocity filter and 4 PWM filters begging to be tweaked..use them!

Yeah, I need movement. I s'pose I'll start by playing around with some automation filters on the equalization? This is something that tends to trip me up as well.... And I was wondering about that drop.... :D

you have to build interest, in every bar try to change a little in automation...even if its not obvious to the listener

Actually, right now I'm using 3 layered kick samples, and 4 for the last 16 bars. Maybe I need to think simpler.... and the reverb is a good tip....I'll try it out.

then forget the three layes..use two if it works, use four if it doesnt...the luck with electronic music is there is no rules..whatever sounds good...but they have to sound good...dood..an that rhymes :)

This is all great advice. I understand the grave importance of the kick-bass relationship but don't appreciate it. I must learn.

the most important in electronic music

I've never thought about working my way from dense to light. I've always started with the sparse sections and added from there. But your way makes more sense, because if I can get the dense areas to sound good, odds are the sparse sections will as well.

well now you have the key to the mint, you owe me $18.50..i accept paypal

kcearl@hotmale.cvnt

Psh, good work, yeah right. But thanks. I'll keep at it. I've never been very serious about making electronic music, but I love it to death. And now that I've switched my college major to electronic music, I best get crackin'! :)

no it was good, and the fact you posted proves you are willing to learn...i dont think there is one of us that didnt have their first track slated here..point is we all learned....welcome aboard mate...you are now a recording musician....great innit :)

Back