A scenario where look ahead can bite you in the but

pingu

The new MPL-1 limiter and a few others are employing look ahead peak detection, in their plugins.

Can you guys think of a scenario where you would not want to use this feature?

pingu said:
The new MPL-1 limiter and a few others are employing look ahead peak detection, in their plugins.

Can you guys think of a scenario where you would not want to use this feature?

Possibly in a mixing situation where latency would be an issue. If your DAW has latency compensation, then it may not matter there either.

Or what about when you don't want the increased accuracy? Vintage limiters didn't have lookahead, and if you want to reproduce that feel, lookahead might make things too clean.

DM1 said:
Or what about when you don't want the increased accuracy? Vintage limiters didn't have lookahead, and if you want to reproduce that feel, lookahead might make things too clean.

I dunno man. I don't think a plugin that is made as a new generation thing (as opposed to an emulation for old gear) is very capable of giving an "old" feel to something at all. Plus, the main purpose of these new limiters is to hold down the peaks, and I couldn't think of a reason why you would want a limiter to not be quick enough at the one thing it's meant to do.

A compressor, that would be a whole different story.

Back