A request for all members

tweedledee

please keep in mind when answering questions aorund the baord that there is very little in the process as frustrating as to ask a question and be told "read a book".i understand that may not be the intention but the effect is that it feels dismissive.
if it is a broad question that assumes some previous knowlage and/or that cannot be answered on a forum and you need to recomend a book that suggest some specific ones at least and when possible reccoemn the chapterthat migth enlighten them better, but otherwise, if you do not know thae answer to the question please don't answer.
thanx

Likewise, if you don't appreciate someone's answer to your question(s), you may chose to ignore it/not be frustrated by it, rather than trying to tell a community of several thousand people exactly how to respond to you. Just a thought.....

andyhix said:
Likewise, if you don't appreciate someone's answer to your question(s), you may chose to ignore it/not be frustrated by it, rather than trying to tell a community of several thousand people exactly how to respond to you. Just a thought.....

i am not telling anyone to do anything, i am asking you, and there is a difference. this message is meant not for thousands of people as an guide for how to treat me but for those who genuinely want to help, so that they can be more able to do so.

I agree with andyhix though, it goes both way's, yes the answering person should try to give a nice helpful anser, but the one recieving the answer should also take it seriosly and not be whiny about it, just becouse it wasn't what they expected.

Cheers.

my sencerest apologies if i came accross as harsh before. i realize in hindsight it can be hard to judge tone or intent when looking at cold text. when i read those replies they came accross to me as dismisive. if that was not the intention fo the posters and i overeacted i rally am sorry. i don't want to get on the bad side of anyone here.

The thing is, I am not interested in helping people out who are unwilling/too lazy to do some of the work themselves.

I'm not referring to you specifically, but I have run into too many people here who literally feel not only entitled to answers, but to be spoon fed the answers as well. It's one of the reasons I'm sorta sporadic in who I help when now, as I've become a little burnt out (not just from this forum). I marvel at how some on this board continue to answer the same questions time and time again. I don't have that kind of time and or patience anymore. Not that I'm a hotshot or even worth listening to :)

You WILL need to read book, manuals, and guides at some point. Better start now :D

i agree with andy hix.

While you should probably try to find stuff out on your own through reading a manual first or experimenting, sometimes it's alot faster or will help you understand better to ask on the board. I mean, thats what its for.

If you're gonna recommend a book or website in your answer, thats one thing, but if you're only going to reply with, like andyhix said, read the manual or something, you might as well not reply at all.

tweedledee,

I suspect your original comment may have been directed to people who sometimes offer glib answers which do not actually provide any real knowledge.

However, please try to keep in mind that often, the same questions are asked over and over - some of us who have been members of this community for a long time may simply be frustrated answering questions repeatedly that a simply search function could find.

I can't speak for others, but at times I see questions that clearly indicate the person asking did not even try to find the answer on thier own -in many cases questions which have been addressed in dozens of books, magazines, web sites, etc.

While this site has many talented, knowledgable and helpful people - it sometimes has people who simply are hoping to get a magic answer (with little effort). Often one can learn more by reading a book, technical manuel (or whatever) rather then simply asking someone.

One of my pet peeves is someone who asks "how do I make money with my studio" when it is obvious that the person has little or no recording skills, minimum equipment and has not even tried to determine what other studios are in the area, what equipment they have, etc. - that type of question probably does not deserve a legit answer on this site.

It is true that there are no "dumb questions" and I've asked my share of basic questions (only after I had tried to find the answer on my own) I've also tried very hard to be a helpful member of this site - if I have knowledge on a given subject - but there are some questions, they I've seen that may deserve the answer - "look it up in a book".

while i certianly understand you may be tired of repeating the same answers, remember that for those asking ti is the first time.

as far as being lazy to get the material, spekaing for myslef, it is not laziness but more being overwhelmed. there is tons of information out there and we do not know where to look soemtimes to sort out the answer we need then and as for the manuals, i am reaidng them but i find them confusing and each seems to assume knowlage of another one. when someone says read a book i feel like...that is why i suggested reccomending specific books and/or chapters to help a newbie get started....i had asked for example which manual i should read first and i was told read a book.....can someone tlel what book would answetr that question for me?

i myself have bought 2 books and am finding them ok so long as things go exactly as the book says but doesn't provide any information what to do when something goes wrong or you think something goes wrong.

Newbie dude said:
i agree with andy hix.

While you should probably try to find stuff out on your own through reading a manual first or experimenting, sometimes it's alot faster or will help you understand better to ask on the board. I mean, thats what its for.

If you're gonna recommend a book or website in your answer, thats one thing, but if you're only going to reply with, like andyhix said, read the manual or something, you might as well not reply at all.

I agree with this, but at the same time, sometimes it's valuable to be made aware how ignorant you might be. If you were to go try to learn from someone in person and everytime you asked them something they looked annoyed, it could mean one of two things; they might be an a$$, or you might be annoying and not researching enough on your own.

ikijapan said:
I agree with this, but at the same time, sometimes it's valuable to be made aware how ignorant you might be. If you were to go try to learn from someone in person and everytime you asked them something they looked annoyed, it could mean one of two things; they might be an a$$, or you might be annoying and not researching enough on your own.
Very true. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own learning. Life is not an elementary school class.

Also, there is an excellent tool here called search.

And just plain READING through forums will teach one much about what they do not know that they do not know.

And as for newbiedude's response that sometimes it is faster to ask than to look something up - I would stipulate that the asker SHOULD at least do a minimal perusal of what has already been asked and answered on this board. Unfortunately, too many people do NOT do that, and thus keep lowering the signal to noise rtatio of this BBS. Not too mention turning off many of those who have seen the same questions dozens of times.

There's a wealth of knowledge and experience on this board availabel to those who are willing to spend a little time and energy.

tweedledee said:
oh no...i thought i had all my gear...now i need a bike too? :confused: :p :p

seriously true, you have been rather helpful till now. can you give me some guidance?
Tweedle...in reply to your post in the other thread and to address the post here in this one.....firstly, I apologize if I seemed flippant in my response to the other thread. I was only joking with Master and his reply and it was aimed at him, not you....BUT...I have learned that, even amidst the most serious of questions, their can be humour around the edges.

You did cross post threads...and in one of them, Masters did give some simple, but good advice...to read the basics of recording first.

We all understand the frustration of Manual reading. I am a handicapped reader of Manuals myself. It is a mass of mumbo-jumbo to me 50% of the time....okay...75%... :D

The best unhumorous advice I could give you on reading the Manuals, would be exactly what Masters told you in your duplicate thread ....buy a basics of recordings book and read it. If you can't afford one, there are a lot of free reads...one being right here in HR. Hands on is great too..no better way to learn than to just 'do it'.

If you have a question about cubase relation to *whatever*, then go to the cubase forum and ask the questions you need answered of how cubase relates to *whatever* with the specifics you are needing.

You may get more pinpointed help, by asking in one particular forum a specific question, relating to one piece of gear to another...but requesting info about the relationship of several pieces of gear or software to the other in the same post and all the different interaction they have...is going to be rather long and can be confusing to answer properly.

In fact, after you read the above paragraph I just typed, it gives one an idea of how confusing it could get...with such a multi'd gear/software question.

SPECIFICS are always important for more precise answers.

If you don't have a book on the basics of homerecording, you can Google all kinds of info...HR ...and.. OTHER PLACES TO LOOK...even more than that if you reword you search a bit as to what you are looking for.

I think I remember you posting, that you are using Cubase. In the Cubase forum, Travisinflorida has a great tutorial he has been kind enough to post. Go there and read it...there are two threads actually.

Hope this is of some help.

True :)

i already have 2 basics of recording books and they are only confusing me further.information overload. i apologize if my sense of humor seems limited. i am just really frustrated and about ready to smash half this stuff.

well my firewire card just went haywire and fell backwards into the an answer by a specific time.i was hoping to get some recording done as soon as i can. i just wish i could get basic step by step intructions and have the instructions work the way tehy are supposed to instead of trying to sort through all this literature to pick out the parts that i need, try and apply them together and then finding that it's not working anyway.

Stealthtech said:
All the time it took to post, bitch, complain, read and stress over this...you could have read an entire manual.
I was gonna say "recorded your first ruff 'n' ready demo" but RTFM works, too. :D

While most of the time, I try to respond based on experience there are occasions when a better explanation (at least in technical terms) can be found elsewhere (book, on line, whatever.) I've done my share of reading manuals and how to books, then followed instructions, then modified a few of those instructions in order to make things work. Books are great, but it's putting the knowledge gained to use that really matters.

The search engine on this website is way better than any individual book IMO.

Still, if someone is recommending a particular book whilst giving an answer, there's no harm in that.

Some of the RTFM responses I feel are completely justified. When someone is asking how to do something as simple as record in Cubase, you have to wonder how much exactly they have tried to help themselves. I think it's all circumstantial. Some people need to be told to read the manual, some people don't.

I had read and learn a lot from this forum, always people is very helpfull (or sometimes doesn't respond at all,,, haha,, but that doesn't bother me)

The thing is, a complete newbie like me sometimes doesnt know from where to start asking something,,,, or how to make an specifics question without the basic knowledge,,,or even what to look for on the search tool because we don't even know what its exactly what we need,,, and its so sad to be a newbie :(

Anyway, I'm gettin an idea of what I need now thanks to this forum ;)

Back