A Remix with a Reason.....

WATYF

...happier than you.
I posted this tune for the 1.5 challenge. I hated how the mix came out... on top of that, the plugins I was using were crap.. :p Up until this point every one of my recordings has been made using either free crappy VST plugins (in n-Track), or the generic plugins that come with ProTools... I went oat and got some waves plugins, and I finally have something decent to work with, so I wanted to see if I could "touch up" an old recording...

I didn't redo any of the parts... (so they still suck) and the Vocals were never comp'ed (so they suck :p), but I did put new lead in, since the old lead really sucked. :p There are still some level issues (lead too hot, vocals too hot), but I have to go, so it'll have to be corrected some other time.

Anyway... the reason I wanted to post this particular song is,... well... the subject matter is kind of relevant. You see... this song is aboot a chick I met years ago. Anywhoo... we've been best friends for eternity, and now we're finally getting married. :p (next month, no less. :p) Basicaly, the song is about me taking her friendship for granted....

but I guess it isn't such a "tragic song" anymore.. :p

Roll

WATYF

btw,... I will be posting a cover song for the latest challenge... sure.. it's past the deadline... but who cares... 90 freaking percent of this clinic doesn't even know what I'm talking aboot, since they were even here when we started the Challenges, so what do they care if I'm late. :p

hey WATYF, this sounds great! much better than the first i think. so do tell what you did in detail please. everything just sounds more clear and detailed to me. vocal is much more present.

Watyf,

Good to hear from you. And congratulations on your engagement! It makes listening to this piece all the more enjoyable. The added guitar parts sound nice.

So welcome back, now get to work on that clinic challenge song!

Twist

Hey man...I really like the guitar additions. Still like the tune, and it still seems a bit muddy to me (guitars only), but you know what they say...one man's "clarity" is another man's harshness.

This is very "warm." :D :D :D :D

I like the rolling feel of this one. The lyrics are deep and you sing them with conviction, you can really tell that this one matters to you.

I really like the guitar work on this. It sounded well mixed on this end.

:)

I remember this one. It sounds great to me (on computer speakers as always) :D.

Nicely done. Your voice sound good in this song. I like the guitar sound.

Congratulations too!!!

Hey all... thanks for the comments.

eric... Thanks man.. I wish I could tell you everything I did... but I had to leave right after I was done to come to Chicago to see my fiance, so I did the mixing in a rush. Basically, though, I put some real compression on the vocals, and put some real EQ's on pretty much everything. Up until this point, my compressors have been pretty pathetic, so it was good to hear how a nice compressor plugin could separate elements and liven things up. I didn't change the overall mix at all... so it's pretty much just a matter of comrpessing and EQ'ing each element a little better.

twist... yeah, thanks... I tried to keep the new git parts simple, but tasteful... I still thought they were a bit hot.. did you? Anyway... I have a number of songs that I've written aboot her (one of which I'll be posting soon, hopefully) and they all seem to have taken on a new (read "happier") meaning now. :p I'm gonna try to get that cover done as soon as I can... wanna take a guess at who I'm covering? ;) :p

chris... glad to hear there's no "brittleness" in the mix... :D ;) Actaully... I think I hear what you're talking aboot... there is a bit of muddyness to some of the strummed gits. I'm still a complete retard when it comes to EQing. :p And now it's worse, because the waves plugins don't even use faders... they have these little dots that you move around in the "EQ" window, and so I basically EQ by "sight" now. :D I just move the little dots till it sounds good. :p One thing to note is that the new git parts (lead) were recorded using my newest piece of gear (Focusrite Penta Compressor/Pre) and I think I can hear a difference too... those parts sound much brighter (and clearer) then the rest of the gits.

boydrj... lol... yeah... I think that's why I called it "Roll". :p :D (or maybe it's cause I use the word "Roll" fifty billion times in the song... eh... I can never remember... :p) Seriously though, I hear what you mean... it has a kind of continual "swaying" feel to it. Thanks for the input.

Jagular... thanks a lot. You know.. when I first posted this, I thought the vocals were crap,... but after hearing them compressed and EQ'ed better... they're not so bad. It's amazing what a little sonic clarity will do for a mix. :p (go figger :p)

anywhoo... let me know if you guys notice that any of the parts are particularly "hot"... I could swear I heard a couple parts that were (as I rushed oat the door to drive to Chicago. :p ) but I could be wrong... :p

WATYF

sounds pretty clean and clear to me...........i don't know if i heard this the first time, but it sounds good............good singing......the one complaint would be the tone on the final guitar solo section.......sounds a little too round and fat compared to the other guitars.....a little out of place............

WATYF said:
there is a bit of muddyness to some of the strummed gits.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I don't think it's at the point of being "wrong" even; it's a good mix.

[edit] You know, if the comparison bugs you, don't let it...but your voice reminds me of good ole' Phat Cat Stevens (sp?)...I love his recordings, especially the acoustic guitar sounds. That's what I'm comparing it too, so if you hate his sounds, ignore me.

Very nice acoustic guitar. Great vocals too. Everything sounds nice and clean so far. Very warm.

I can't find anything I dislike about it. I wouldn't change a damn thing.

I very much enjoyed this.

Watyf is going pro:D :D ..... congratulations man:D and pass on a big congrats to Mrs. Watyf for me.

The tune is very nice. It sounds like you already know where the work lies in this. There are a few hot spots in the vocs that could be retracked...... Nice sounding guitars, and very nice writing.

btw: did you ever completely finish "Better" ....its still my favorite from you. A watyfian example of excellent songwriting!!:)

very nice man, g

wonderful balanced picking and singing, the music mix was sweet and balanced. The voice is smooth and powerful, but got a little hot here and there.
Congratulations on your pairing!!

This is great. Man, I have heard killer shit all morning here.

This reminds me of Michael Stipe. In fact it sounds like an REM song called "Half a world Away". Me likes, a lot.

I put up a new version to address some of the comments...

powder.... I noticed that too... it kinda ticked me off, cause I tracked all the lead at the same time... but for some reason the "main" lead came out sounding funky.. anywhoo... I EQ'ed the crap oat of it and compressed it all to hell and now it's a little better... :p

chris... I don't mind the comparison.. I get it all the time.. in fact, I got it earlier today from someone who heard an old recording... :p Anyway... I tried EQ'ing one of the strummed gits better to take the mids out... I think it's a little better... I dunno.. my ears are fried. :p

Sluice... thanks man.. I'm glad you dig it. I guess these plugins were worth the money then. :p

Guernica... lol... "watyfian" :D (that's funny. :p) Well thanks... and I'm sure you'll all get a chance to "meet" her soon.. she's also a musician (sings/plays piano), so I'll be posting some stuff of ours in a few months. Anyway, I worked on some of those hot spots... I think I cleaned it up a bit. As for Better, it's pretty sure done being "written", but I need to get a lead singer and record that with a full band... I really want to hear how that song sounds done "right" someday.

Toki... Thanks for the comments. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to mix three or four acoustic gits... but maybe I should just try adding something other than an acoustic, instead... :D

David.... Thanks a lot.. I'll go check oat that song to see what you're talking aboot... that's the first REM comparison I've been given... although, they're Canadians too, so I guess it was bound to happen someday.. :p

anywhoo.. my ears are fried on this one, and I'm content with the remixing, so I'll leave it for now.... thanks for all the feedback folks.

WATYF

sounds really sweet watyf

what i like most is your vocals.. they sound very good. I think I heard you complaining about them before... that would be silly cuz they sound soo good and unique.
the guitar is also very good.. love to hear acoustic guitar! :)
song is also writen well...!

great to hear of your engagment.. I wish you the happiest journey!

Great song!

Guitars are nice 'n full. Maybe a bit too much so.

Some sibilance happenin' on the vocal. Nothin' major.

Congrats on the engagement, and may you have better luck with that than I.:D

ahh nice

Yup I know this song.

Great stuff. Really enjoyed it. It has an REM feel to it. Those guitars though are simply georgeous. Congrats mate.

Erland

great work WATYF...maybe just double up your pop filter (i thought I heard a few "p" and "b" puffs)...otherwise your voice is great...nice sound..
good tune:)

Back