A question for the pros about corners

JohnWatkins

In two corners of my music room I have half-stack guitar amps with an angled absorption panel above them reaching to the ceiling. I am sure that some bass passes right through these amps to the corner behind, but is it enough to care about? Is it being diffused before it gets there by the different shape of the speakers and inner baffle enough to negate the problem? If I were to back fill the area behind these amps with bass traps or absorption material, can I expect any benefit from that at all?

I'm not really trying to solve a specific problem here because my room sounds good. I was just curious, and it seems like a couple of the guys here are into the science of it so I thought I would throw it out there for discussion. Thanks, John.

Assume these are closed-back cabinets, but there will still be some amount of bass 'amplification' happening due to the corner position. If you've got traps in the ceiling corner above them it should help the problem.

John,

It may or may not be a 'problem'. Minimally treated corners in tracking rooms are common. We use these corners as effects. Placing an amp in a corner will 'drive' the room modes.. and it's not necessarily a bad thing. - If that's what you are trying to do.

Trapping will 'tighten' a room's LF response so that it doesn't 'rumble on & on'. As a designer, I will 'craft' a tracking room's response and decay. Larger tracking rooms have absorbent appropriate to their size so that the decay will not interfere with many different instruments tracking at the same time in the same space & at the same time allow 'ensemble' between players.

When micing an amp in a tracking room or performance space, the engineer will try different techniques and 'areas' in the room to get 'the sound' that he's after. - If it works with the track - IT WORKS! - Like I always say sometimes, "If it's not Baroque, Don't fix it!"
:)

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the insights. The amps are basically furniture as I do almost all of my guitar tracking through the Fractal. I'm thinking more about effect on the room for mixing. Like most hobbyists, I track and mix in the same room.

John,

Ahh.. okay. Well, then you SHOULD trap the corners as much as possible. What are your room dimensions?

Cheers,
John

Roughly 16' x 22' with the desk centered on a 16' wall. To the left and right of the desk there are amps in the corner with angled, 3' x 4" x 3" thick, non-backed Ruxol above them. On the opposite wall, one corner is a wide entrance to the room, and the other corner has a sump closet (so two corners).

John,

Height please! - otherwise, your room is 2-D containing no mass or 'real' space. ;)

Cheers,
John

Sorry. It's a basement so 7' with a 6.5' section right down the middle about 3' wide where the cold air return runs down the center of the house.

Back