A Question about taping Drywall Joints

ob

What works best for sound isolation - plain old drywall tape, the new webbing/mesh/screen stuff, or both, with webbing first and tape over top? Or does it matter?

Concur on the doesn't matter...It's going to be under about 3 coats of mud and 2-3 coats of paint.

I'd go with the the mesh just because it's easier to work with.

Get the solid paper tape, and rent one of those "banjo's", if you're muddin' a studio, you'll learn how to use it, in fact, by the time you're done, you'll be a pro!
It'll make the job go so much faster, plus it'll look better.

Voice of experience (albeit small) - Avoid the webb stuff if you're doing it yourself. If you sand just a little bit too much (and you will) the webb stuff frays and starts sticking out. Now you have to put more mud on and wait for it to dry. Being a novice I got rid of the webb stuff real quick.

DD

Some Home Depots (mine specifically) carry a book titled "Drywall" (catchy title, huh?) - book's at work now and I'm not :=) so don't remember the author - he's a long time drywaller, and the book has 'way more info on drywalling (other than sound proofing, kinda light on that) than you'll ever want to know. Every time I pick it up, I learn something else. About $19 if I remember right... Steve

Yeah, that's the one - why the fuck can I remember all this other stuff and not people's names? :=((

Back