A question about phantom power

It will probably work, but it might distort very easily with loud sounds.

It might be worth it to find another small mixer that provides the proper voltage.

If you are recording with a computer, you would probably be better off getting an interface with mic inputs and not bother with the mixer.

Looks like the STC-20 requires 48v. Might work, might not work well, or not work at all. If you have the gear already give it a try. Low phantom won't hurt anything.

The mixer you purchased doesn't appear to have USB to connect to a computer. Are you intending to use the mixer to record to a computer? If so and the plan was to use the 1/8" inputs on the computer, back step a bit and return the mixer and look at getting a USB audio interface (not a USB mixer).

What are you doing? Singing vocals, podcast type stuff, etc...?

stc-20.jpg

I had a similar problem, I solved it by buying a Phantom Power Supply for about $25 bucks. It's a little box that connects inline with your mic. It has XLR input and output. You can find them at eBay and possibly Musician's Friend or Sweetwater. It worked out fine for me.

I would simply return the mixer (unless you have a compelling reason not to) and buy a mixer with 48V phantom power. Only 18V on that one, how odd.

That $25 Phantom power supply cost about as much as that mixer did... interface would be preferable. Even if you actually need the mixer, you would be better off spending $50 on the mixer instead of $25 on the mixer and $25 on the Phantom supply.

I wonder if the 18v phantom is a misprint on the brochure? Never heard of a mixer with 18V, maybe it was supposed to be 48V and the 4 became a 1?

Actually in the quick start manual it does not mention phantom, only that the power supply is 18v, maybe they are talking about the mixers power supply?

Alan.

I wonder if the 18v phantom is a misprint on the brochure? Never heard of a mixer with 18V, maybe it was supposed to be 48V and the 4 became a 1?

Actually in the quick start manual it does not mention phantom, only that the power supply is 18v, maybe they are talking about the mixers power supply?

Alan.

There are a few Behringer mixers that provide only 15v, so seeing 18v on a small mixer probably is correct. Usually when it's low voltage they don't provide a way to switch it on/off.

mixer.jpg

Back