A question about old tubes and Bass.

Tobe

Simon
I have an old KMD guitar amp with a strange config of a solid state pre and a pair of 6L6 Groove Tubes for the driver.

It should be able to cope with the levels for tracking Bass, so I run a DI and mic up the amp. Mixed together this sounds better than DI alone, but it’s not as clean as I would like. There is some farty sounding fuzz, which at first I thought was the guitar speaker not coping, but the speaker looks good, and I can still hear it at very low levels.

The tubes are very old, and need replacing anyway because they rattle a bit too much. So the question is, could the tubes be the culprit for the farty fuzz? If so, what would be the best replacement? I’m thinking of JJ Telsa 6L6’s because they are not expensive and are supposed to have a “solid build” (no rattle).

It occurs to me that the amp has the same problem with guitar too. I use it as the cab for a Homemade Firefly amp (nice tone) line-out when I want distortion, and it works just fine, but it's no good when I want clarity from the guitar, so I have got in the habit of using DI and DAW effects when I need a clean electric guitar sound. Effects are kinder to guitar (so I can get away with it) than they are bass (I need the amp to have more clarity).

Last edited:
Back