a question about drum samples (and hi, I'm new here)

deathofamind

I found this site last night, and it's perfect! I've gotten really into home recording over the past year, and it was frustrating to me because I didn't know any good sites/forums where I could talk about it.

Anyway, on to the question... I've been using Fruityloops to make some simple drum tracks for my songs. My style sorta varies, but it's mostly rock with nothing too heavy.

So, I've been mainly using the "realistic" kit which comes with Fruityloops. I don't really like any of the other drums that come with it. Now, I've seen lots of people saying that it's a good idea to go online to look for more drum parts to use. So I started looking for sites like that, and the problem is, they all seem to have pre-recorded loops to download or buy.

Now, I don't know much about drumming, so any of the loops that I've made by myself are pretty simple. But I'm hesitant to download and use some amazing drum loop, because I feel like that's cheating! I feel like I should be making my music from scratch... not using someone else's drum part!

Does anybody else feel this way? And are there any good sites that just have .wav files of the drums themselves (snare, bass drum, high hats, etc.)? That way I could have something to work with besides just the "realistic" kit... and if so, does anybody have any advice for constructing drum loops, for someone who knows nothing about drumming? I've been playing guitar for almost two years, so I definitely consider myself a beginner. Maybe I should look for some sort of book or guide to teach me about doing this stuff. But I've always been a sort of "learn by trial and error" sort of guy.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated!

You could go to your local recording studio to have a "live" drummer play some kicks, snares, hi-hats, etc. for you.

Then you could load them into your computer as WAV. files.

In FLP, you load the samples and construct your own drum tracks.

;)

Back