A question about cable...

Lame Thrower

I'm a new user of this forum, but have been reading for a couple weeks. This place is great.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as directional cable.

Yesterday I purchased a Monster Interlink 400 MkII to run out of my mixer (RCA), and into my sound card (1/8th inch). After opening it, I discovered that there are stickers on the cable indicating a direction of signal flow. Then I read the back of the package where it says this:

"Connect Interlink 400 MkII with the arrows on the jacket following the direction of signal flow (away from the source). This will ensure that induced noise is grounded at the source, where the cable's single-ended shield is connected, not following the path of the audio signal."

This concerns me because the signal flow arrows go in the opposite direction that I want to use the cable. The fact that this 6' cable cost almost $60 adds to my concern.

So should I worry about this? Is this thing going to buzz like a wino?
Should I return this cable and try to find one that is grounded at the other end?

Why do you want to hook the cable up opposite what the directions say?

What the instructions say seem to make sense to me. I would listen to them, unless you are using the box in some unorthodox way.

Nemal

I want to use it to go from my mixer's RCA outs to my soundcard's 1/8th inch input, but it seems that this cable was designed to go the other way.

I think it was intended to be used to hook up a portable CD or MD player to a home stereo.

Why do you want to hook the cable up opposite what the directions say?

Typical response from a california democrat! :D
Just kiddin'. Went to high school and Jr. College in Cupertino.

"Buzz like a Wino". That's another good one!
LT, I can't imagine a reversal of the path causing RF or bottleneck issues, but you might check their website for further explaination.

Post what you find.
Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I feel kind of dumb for posting here before checking there.

(I voted for Nader by the way, so I figure I've already had my revenge)

Here's what Monster's faq has to say:

Category: Audio Interconnect
Question: Will I notice a difference if I hook up my cables in the wrong direction?
Answer: You probably will not, but if you think that you are experiencing noise problems, check that they are. Cables are directional for shielding purposes only. Should you not see these arrows, remember that the signal flow should go in the same direction of the print on the cable jacket, reading left to right away from the source (source to destination)

So I guess since I haven't experienced any problems yet, I'll just hope that I don't start. Seems kind of odd to me that for $60 dollars, they can't make a cable that works equally in either direction.

Thanks again.

Back