A plea from that annoying FAQ guy

grahamware

That FAQ Guy
Greetings fellow homereccers!

First, let me thank those that have commented on the FAQ! If you haven't seen it recently, check it out!
http://www.hr-faq.org
There is a lot of good information up, as well as a mic database, where you can search for mics built for a particular budget or built by a particular brand.

However, there is much to do. I really have two (2!) more weeks to work full-time on the FAQ. Afterwards, I don't know how much I'll be working, but rest assured updates will be few and far between.

Certain mics aren't represented yet; others aren't represented well enough. I haven't touched mic placement or preamps at all. What does this mean for you and me?

You got it! It is crunch time. If you are interested in helping me (and the awesome chessrock, Mark7 and Dethska) in perfecting the FAQ and erradicating most aggrivating newbie posts, and even simplifying the experienced user's mic buying/using, DO NOT HESITATE! This is the time to volunteer and build the best FAQ possible.

So, you want to help? Excellent! Post here what you subject you would like to research. I (of course) realize everyone has things to do - so, bite off only what you can chew. If you can spend 1/2 hour looking for quotes, that's fine. 45 hours? Wierd, but even better!

After choosing a nice topic, collect quotes from the BBS, citing the author. Try to pick thoughtful ones, rather than "that mic sucks" or "I hate behringer, so don't bother." And remember: the main focus is "newbie." Try to pick quotes that address the questions of those who have no idea what they want or need.

Here's a small sampling of what's necessary:

-A glossary: certain terms (FET, SA, LD) need newbie explanations.
-MICS: Ribbons, more AT and AKG, as long as they are mentioned enough on the forum. How bout some Neumann's, too.
-PRES: Anything that would appeal to entry level or prosumers.

And of course, general theory on mics, buying, and placement advice.

I'm looking forward to your responses! Please, do not hesitate to volunteer. This FAQ is going to rock, thanks to you guys.

-Graham D.

I'll take on AKG D112 and Behringer B1. Possibly more, but I don't want to commit to too much.

A comment on gathering quotes. When I searched, I tried to get quotes from people that have the most experience here. Rather than take the word of some newbie with 28 posts that the Studio Projects C1 is EXACTLY the same as a Neumann U87, I tried to find quotes from people like Harvey and Fletcher (true pros who have been at this awhile). I also looked for people who have been members for awhile and are fairly active in the recording field, like Track Rat, Chessrock, and Gidge (there are tons of others, but you get the idea.)

I think this course makes the quotes more valuable and trustworthy. Anybody looking for quotes on the Neumann U47 should definately search Fletcher's posts. He's made numerous intelligent comments regarding them.

Finally, I don't think preamps should exclude high end models. Or high end mics either. It's not a priority obviously, but it would be good to show that the RNP is the not the be all/ end all of mic pres. It should be shown in the context that it is, a really good preamp for the price. Maybe even for a price three steps up. But it's not top of the line (whatever that is). And a list that ignores PRO pre's might show a misrepresentation of a pre's place in the grand scheme of audio equipment.

Okay, I'm done. Those are my thoughts. Feel free to ignore or modify as you all see fit.

I'll help!
Give me an assignment.

I could take on Shure and .... I dunno... maybe Neumann?

Or, just whatever you need help with.

Ok, lets see here:

THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE, SPECIFICALLY:

MICS:
Neumann: U47, TLM-103, KM184, M149
Shure: KSM27, KSM44, PG series
AT: Pro25
AKG: 414, 451, 4033, 4040, 4050
Beyer: M260(.80), M160, M500, M88
Oktava: 52
BLUE: baby bottle, dragonfly
Electrovoice: RE20
Rode: NT1000
Josephson: C42

How's that for a start? Pick something and get cracking!

Oh and:

Sennheiser e609
Rode NT5
Beyer Soundstar X1N
AT 4041, 4060
AKG C418

To clear up any confusion: by asking you to 'do' a mic, I mean find good, cited quotes in the BBS regarding the mic, put them together and send them to me.

Oh, and Dethska - I agree, pro preamps will be important sooner or later. I just felt that entry preamps were the priority. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And sorry for three posts in a row!

-Graham

Cool. I also agree that entry pre's should be taken on first. We probably won't be able to find a whole lot on professional grade products here anyway. Maybe a little, but probably 95% of this board can't afford them anyway. I was just thinking that maybe we can list them with the prosumer and entry-level, so people know they exist. If they want more info, they'll have to do their own research. Probably requiring visits to other BBS's.

BTW-Did you get the quotes I sent you last night?

Dethska said:
Cool. I also agree that entry pre's should be taken on first. We probably won't be able to find a whole lot on professional grade products here anyway.

As far as pres go I have the following:
API 312's (2)
Neve 33114's (2)
Audix 35102's (2)
ART PRO MPA (Dual)

I hope to add more in the near future. Something along the lines of a 1272 and 1073 clone.

As far as pres go I have the following:
API 312's (2)
Neve 33114's (2)
Audix 35102's (2)
ART PRO MPA (Dual

Yeah, and you also have a super sweet studio under construction! Just rub it in why don't you!:mad: :D

So since you are one of the few around here blessed with pro level pres, I think you get nominated for putting together a section for the FAQ on them. :D

Back