A Phantasmogorical Journey Toward a Saturnine Dystopia

cloudchamber

I've been making some wierd music lately. I'm not sure if this is too far out in left field for anyone to enjoy listening to it. Yes, that unfamiliar instrument you're hearing IS an oboe. Unfortunately, I have to make everything on headphones for now, so I'm testing the waters to see if there are any glaring errors in the stereo field. Also, any comments on instrumentation or song structure are more than welcome. Show me no mercy.

Ignis Fatuus
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/cloudchamber_music.htm

Last edited:
Not too left field for me, I really liked it. A lot. Great to hear some originality, but also working well. How did you do this? I used to help manage an early music orchestra, and some of your sounds reminded me of authentic rather than modern orchestral instruments. Maybe just a fluke.

Couple of points - on my system, it's a bit bass heavy. I absolutely fucken hated the drums. Finally, a little less arpeggiating and a little more direction in some of the melody lines would take it further, but that's definitely only IMHO.

Great stuff man :)

I don't get it. I think your instrumentation is okay, but the drums kill it for me. As soon as the hip hop beat drops, the name of the song just sounds silly. I was expecting to hear something a little more exotic.

-Casey

Supercreep:

It figures that you would hate the drums. Maybe its even appropriate. The definition of the title, Ignis Fatuus, is:

ig·nis fat·u·us

1. A phosphorescent light that hovers or flits over swampy ground at night, possibly caused by spontaneous combustion of gases emitted by rotting organic matter. Also called friar's lantern, jack-o'-lantern, will-o'-the-wisp, wisp.
2. Something that misleads or deludes; an illusion.

So, aptly, it would seem I mislead you. Not that that's a good thing. I've been trying to get back into composing and beatmaking, and I'm being torn between the two. I keep posting tracks on these hip hop sites, and all the (15 year old) producers complain that they don't sound "street."

If you are interested, listen to "Oleander Overture," (No drums at all) or "The Ghost of Thaddeus" (Acoustic drums) for something more exotic.

Mr. Sharp:

I used Real Guitar and Edirol Orchestral for the sounds.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I cross posted this tune on Futureproducers.com. Here's the first review:

cntspitfiya said:
From Futureproducers.com:

cntspitfiya

Im really likin this one. All of the melodies are nice. Drums are tight. Different is good though. This beat sounds real good to me.

I guess it just goes to show that you can some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time. LOL.

Oleander Overture: "I had to fight myself every step of the way to resist the temptation to program drums over the top." A worthy fight well won, tho' I'm not entirely convinced by the military style snare part.

Nice piece, could I again implore you to explore the introduction of some passing notes in your arpeggiating? IMHO it would be enhanced by a more confident counterpoint from the cello. Good work tho' cloudchamber.

Back