A pair of Genelec S30s with a very low pricetag...

canakas

Hi everyone,

I wanted to hear your opinion on this:
Theres someone who is selling a couple of Genelec S30 from 1992 (triamped monitor)... says he paid more than 4000 USD for them back in '92

He says he has repleaced the bass elements but one of the speakers is still defect...
He says the elements are not what is wrong...because when he connects the amp on the other channel they work fine...

My first thought was that this is a great buy, what do you think...?

Do monitors deteriorate in quality with 15 years of use, or are they still usable and accurate?

Anyone have an idea what repair costs for the electronics one of the channels could amount to... ?

-thanks everyone
canakas

Inside
Outside

I think that the only way you should buy used defective products from a stranger is if it's a slam dunk product that is hard to find, you just can't live without, and have enough money to poetntially have to refurbish the whole thing..

OTOH, if you so unsure as to whether you really want it or not that you're willing to ask a bunch of strangers for their opinion, and the main reason you're attracted to the deal is because it seems too good to be true, then those should both be pretty solid warning that buying some 15 yr old loudspeakers that are admittedly defective from a stranger on an as-is basis is probably not such a hot idea.

G.

i think needed to hear exactly that...

What you are saying is true... I think had it been 60 dollars and not 600 I might have considered it a diy challenge...

guess I have to keep on saving for new monitors :p

cheers for the sound input man :cool:
have a nice week

Do monitors deteriorate in quality with 15 years of use, or are they still usable and accurate?

Anyone have an idea what repair costs for the electronics one of the channels could amount to... ?

Inside
Outside

How much speakers deteriorate just really depends on the owner, man. There's really no other way to put it.

If you take a pair of genelecs and have them as a fixed installation in a controlled studio environment, assumming your working mostly with low volume material (jazz, classical, etc), then we can perhaps assume the speakers would be doing better.

However, if your setup to listen to heavy material, that's going to take it's toll on this deal.

Repair is different anywhere you go. You could of course have them shipped off for repair, but if the cost of repair exceeds the total cost of what you pay....then, well...

you decide

I think I have. Ill leave them be =)

It is a good point you are making... I saw one of the corners had a dent in the picture... so that makes for thinking they have been around more than they should have.

and I completely agree with you on the notion of aging in accordance to the music material played through them

Back