A or or B? you tell me...

I think B sounds a bit "harder". No real preference here. Both are cool, and I have no nits I could point out to you. :D

B has a little more clarity on the drums and does NOT* sound cluttered like A.

Like the tune and the song the way it's done. :)

I wish I could play like this and that my guitars could sound like that. Is there any special pedals that you use? How do you get the guitars to sound so crunch and still sweet? Is it playing twice in two octaves?

Dude you're songs always have this quality to them. Seems there's a lot of work put in them and the rhythmic and harmonic quality is pretty cool. To quote Chandler Bing (Friends), "Rock on!"

* - edit

Last edited:
I'm on the other side of the fence...I liked the vocals on the first mix. The second sounded a little thin...further away. The blend with the "misty" sound is a better sound to me in the first mix worked for me.

I tell ya...I listned to both...this stuff isn't my cup of tea...but I liked the first mix enough to listen to it several times.

The drums need a little more punch in the mid range...the toms and kick were a little flat to me. A bit more attack from the bass guitar might help.

The guitars are fine.

I like a little more snap from the snare drum

I like it...really.

I listened only on headphones but couldn't tell much difference. The A. mix sounded a little more bright but it was a subtle difference. It kinda made the floor noise a little more noticable.

xfinsterx said:
Heres version C!!

This should blow A and B outa the water.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3222
Did you do something to the drums here? They seem a bit cooler.....not that there was anything wrong witht the other drum tracks, the drums in this seem a bit more full, or something. If I remember right. :o

Anyway, the mix as a whole sounds damn good to me. There is a lot of sound, but it all seems to have space. I can make out individual instruments if i want, but it meshes together well.

I listened to the first two and liked A better. Then I listende to C and like it better. These are very quick first impressions, and I gotta tell you that I didn't even listen to the whole song, but sonically, that's just how they hit me.

BTW, your drummer's gonna have a heart attack. :eek:

Sounds really good to me. Nice big sound on everything. The band is good too, kind of reminds me of Atreyu or something, really good stuff man.

What kind of guitar amps are you using? What kind of mics. I really like how the guitars sound.

monkeymanx said:
Sounds really good to me. Nice big sound on everything. The band is good too, kind of reminds me of Atreyu or something, really good stuff man.

What kind of guitar amps are you using? What kind of mics. I really like how the guitars sound.

Heavy stuff was a mesa triple with a mesa 4x12.
Mics were a r121, sm57, and md421.
All in 1 inch proximity of the best sounding speaker.
All those mics went to some Neve Porticos.
From there some compression, and eq were added to taste.

Clean gtrs were a fender blues junior.
Mics were a neumann u87ai, and a r121.
Those went to a couple of API 312's.
From there some compression, eq, and reverb were added to taste.

A seemed to be a smoother ride than B. Has a *Yes* flavour to it... I did like the heavier play on the guitars in B....

I don't know how to explain this other than B seemed at times, to be seperate parts put togather, while A seemed a more natural fit. :confused: :D

Love the song and very good playing, with nice vox...TRUE :)

punkin said:
The drums need a little more punch in the mid range...the toms and kick were a little flat to me. A bit more attack from the bass guitar might help.

The guitars are fine.

I like a little more snap from the snare drum

I like it...really.

I agree with the above.

I listened just to "C".

Overall it sounds pretty dang good, especially like the vocals and the guitars.

Drums just seemed a bit flat, and the guitars went from steller to "so-so" when the mix got busy - which is an arrangment thing, not a mixing issue.

I really dig the enormous amount of depth in the guitar sound! :D

Love C ...have been listening on repeat for the last 10 minutes ... Everything seems to fit so well together in the mix ...If only i could get mine to do that lol :(

NL5 said:
I agree with the above.

I listened just to "C".

Overall it sounds pretty dang good, especially like the vocals and the guitars.

Drums just seemed a bit flat, and the guitars went from steller to "so-so" when the mix got busy - which is an arrangment thing, not a mixing issue.

I really dig the enormous amount of depth in the guitar sound! :D

What do you mean by flat?
Dynamics...?
Or Eq...?

I think C lost some of the bottom end influence. The bass and the drums don't seem to work together well and could be where the flatness comes from. It's like they don't push together but that's really a performance issue. I still like A the best, it has a smoother bass tone that gives the song a darker flavor. Any reason why you reversed the panning?

NYMorningstar said:
I think C lost some of the bottom end influence. The bass and the drums don't seem to work together well and could be where the flatness comes from. It's like they don't push together but that's really a performance issue. I still like A the best, it has a smoother bass tone that gives the song a darker flavor. Any reason why you reversed the panning?

The A mix has a plug by mcdsp called Analog channel.
I used it on every channel as they recommend, and also strapped thhe 2 inch tape plug across the 2 mix.

I like the analog flavor...but for a dense mix like this the mud was too much IMO.

As for reversing the L to R i think that i has something to do with the encoder i used....?

In any event i appriciate the comments. :D

I like 'C' the best, especially the guitars. Those guitars sound sweet. I like the drums better in the clean parts when they have more room to breathe (or something like that :D ) When the guitars come in, they seem to lose a bit of space, but this is really nitpicky. Really, really nitpicky. Great job man!!

:D

C kicks ass!!! Its amazing how a great mix changes a song. To be honest I did'nt really like the song or mix after A or B. It sounds like you may have used some pitch correction on the flat vox spots on C. Whats the story there? Antares? The drums really stand out to me in C. Great work!

I agree, C sounds the best.

The guy's voice doesn't go all whiney when he sings, I liked that. He almost has a Dexter Holland sound in him, which is cool.

Regarding the mix, the lead vox had a bit too much reverb, it was especially noticable during the clean guitar parts. The drums had a lot of verb at the end, but it fits perfectly. I can't really complain about much else, it sounds very pro to me. Good work!

Back