A Noob setting up Cubase 5 LE: What should I make sure to do?

WesternHaikus1

Hey guys,

I've been making lots of noob posts lately,as you can tell I'm just getting into this kind of thing.

I've got Cubase 5 LE that came packaged with my Tascam US-800. I know almost nothing about this kind of software, used to tinker in Adobe Audition back in the day, but overall I know very, very little.

What are some of the most important things to know or to do when first getting to know this software? I have, I think, properly set up my device, but I am still a little confused about adding/removing busses, mono vs. stereo recording, latency changes, etc.

Any main points I need to make sure I hit?

If there are any good tutorials out there on youtube or otherwise, please suggest them! I'm trying to take in as much info as possible!

Thanks guys.

hey...I`m new to cubebase 5le as well, and would also like to hear some suggestions...

so..

TTT..

I've started looking for tutorials and stuff on youtube. There seems to be quite a few for Cubase 5, although some seem to be a little too specific for me since I don't know a whole lot about DAWs and working in them.

the more you watch the more jargon and practices you become familiar with until you move on and start to acheive small goals. cubase is a steep learning curve but i love it. After 4 years working with it i'm only just starting to discover its short comings. Take your time soak it up. dont mash your brain by getting too far ahead of your self. learn to use the tools as you go along and have fun.
start with the basic tutorials, ask other musician friends for help. call your local studio and ask them if you can visit. be cheeky you may be surprised how many musos and producers will help.

Well, I'm surprised more have not already commented :confused:
Anyway:

Mono vs. Stereo recording. Mono. I've never really had a need for a stereo track. Most normal stuff. Vocals, Guitars, Drum mics you'll want to go mono.

As far as buses go... what info do you need?

I'm no expert, but for n00bly questions that I've probably asked myself I can probably help out.

I think I've begun to understand mono vs stereo more now.

Here's my understanding: say I'm recording just an acoustic guitar. I've got an instrument mic set up to record into cubase through a USB interface. I create a new mono track in cubase and record the take. That's a mono track since it used one mic. If I use an instrument mic, and then also a condenser mic somewhere a little further away on a separate mono track to add fullness, its still mono recording, since theyre both mono tracks, just recorded individually but at the same time. But my output is considered stereo since its going to monitors or headphones?

So whats the point of recording a stereo track? What are the advantages?

As for buses, my understanding of how they work in tracking, for effects, outputs, etc, is fuzzy at best, but I'm able to let the program kind of take care of this on my own. If there's a noobs explanation to what busses are and when to use them in what situation, I'd love to read it.

Back