A newbie question

strings012

Hello, I'm really new to recording and just getting started. I'm using Cakewalk GT-Pro on my computer and I have a small Beringer(sp) mixer. Right now I'm using the Tape I/O's to connect to my souncard. I was wondering if this is good or should I be using the 1/4" main outs? It seems to work, but if there is a better way of connecting I like to give it a try. Also I just recently bought an audiophile 2496 soundcard. Is there any way of using it as a primary card? Or is it not made for this? One more thing, I'd like to invest in a drum machine of some sort. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Which ones sound like real drums. I know you can't replace a machine for the real thing, but I'm all by myself here making scratch demos. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm real eager to learn all I can and don't want to spend my hard earned money on stuff I don't need. Thanks.

strings012 said:
Hello, I'm really new to recording and just getting started. I'm using Cakewalk GT-Pro on my computer and I have a small Beringer(sp) mixer. Right now I'm using the Tape I/O's to connect to my souncard. I was wondering if this is good or should I be using the 1/4" main outs? It seems to work, but if there is a better way of connecting I like to give it a try. Also I just recently bought an audiophile 2496 soundcard. Is there any way of using it as a primary card? Or is it not made for this? One more thing, I'd like to invest in a drum machine of some sort. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Which ones sound like real drums. I know you can't replace a machine for the real thing, but I'm all by myself here making scratch demos. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm real eager to learn all I can and don't want to spend my hard earned money on stuff I don't need. Thanks.

Not sure What soundcard you have in your cpu But I'm 100% positive you will get better sound off the audiophile instead of running off the tape in/out.
If you are running windows check the audio setting under the control panel you should be able to set the audiophile as "default" there.

On to the Drum machine question: I used a Boss DR-5 for a while with great results if your on a budget. If money aint an object get an Akai MPC and a drum sample cd.

I bought the Home Recording Power! book and I still pick it up from time to time. IMHO I think it has a lot of great information in there for starting out.

I'm no "Pro" though; just a noob helping another noob :)
Peace

Back