a new tack

jeffmaher

Been a while trying the on-site upload....stand by

OK...it works.

So I have a real Ludwig drum kit set up. Four mic's: overhead KSM27's; 58 snare; 57 bass.

Tuned them up yesterday; set up the mics I had following a few tutorials; sub-mixer into the board. No firewire of some such...so what goes in is tweakable only at the boards. PS..I'm not a drummer. Haven't sat behind a set for 31 years. Still trying to figure out how to hit the snare...

I'm sending this first test...recorded all dry, then mastered to get some available nicetyude...if any.

To add context, I tried a few of my new instruments. I'm not a mando, fiddle, banjo, or flute player either. Still waiting on the upright bass, dobro, chromatic harmonica, congas, bongos, COWBELL, and a decent crash. And some better drum mic's.

Yes..instead of going the super-computer, software libraries and midi hassle, I just decided to instrument-up...get some chops...and record real stuff into mics.

Just wondering if y'all...m' buds...will give me an assessment of the drums and label the few worst things to fix...and send me in the right directions. I can hear no snare snap; boxy as anything. Do I have to cut the hole in the front bass drum head? Pillow? Got a couple washrags taped on. How's the tuning? Room sound awful as I think?

Love yoos,
Jeff

ps...been working 60-80 hours a week for several months. Saved some money, and decided whether to invest in fake or real recording. Real won. No more quantizing. Grit, scratch, wobbly time...and some new skills to develop...that can make me dough playing live, eventually. Really looking forward to playing upright again. Got a real spruce n' maple coming!!

Sorry to have been out of the loop for so long.

Attachments

• test.mp3
    998.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Jeff,

Good to see you back here! Funny you mention new instruments. I've been going through the same thing. Spent all night researching resonator guitars, cause I love the sound and want a new one. Found a mando at a pawn shop that I like too. Nothing beats the real thing!

My thoughts on your drum tracks. Kick sounds nice and snappy. Hats sound good to me. Snare kinda meh. No idea how to fix that since I know nothing about snare drums, but there's plenty here that do. I'm sure they'll be around to chime in.

Sounds a bit loose to me, Jeff. The kit sounds kind of "roomy" rehearsal room, kind of....not sure if it has to do with mic proximity, compression, whatever, but I'm sure Greg will be coming along to give you some good advice.

Last edited:
Sounds loose and live...I like its feeling, does not sound like youve sat in a studio and planned this out..

Youve already hit on the snare...its does sound boxy but to be honest if I hadnt read you mention it Im not sure I wouldve picked up on it...cloth ears an' all ;)

nice to see you back :)

I think it might be because I'm not hittin it with snap...or steadily in the center. I need a few lessons on basic technique...and more reading-up on stuff 'bout drums. Steep curve. I'm set up in a little room where I record vocals. I reckon drum rooms need a lot more dampening. More reading...

And, I have to admit...I LIKE the banjo. Suddenly, everybody got a purdy mouf. So...there! Crazy setup, though.

banjos, pick-ups, and shot guns hold a strange attraction for me..I dunno why :confused:

I also own a "mountain dew" trucker cap...is this a good thing??

wish I could learn drums...Im jeluss

As you say yourself, the main thing is to get a nice consistent crack out of the snare. There's nothing wrong with the raw sound you've captured - there's plenty of scope for enhancement and general beefing up with EQ and compression. Also consider the room you're recording in and how much of that you want to capture through the drum mics

That snare doesn't sound too bad. It does sound timid though. You want a snare to crack? Hit the motherfucker...hard. You won't hurt it. But yeah, work on your consistency and, um, aim. Consistency is important. You don't have to be the best player, but nothing sounds cheap and amateurish like a bunch of inconsistent hits. Hit the middle of the drum. The area between the center and rim of a snare is weak. It usually gives you a light and pingy sound, which can work as an accent or if you want that sound, but most of the time you're probably gonna wanna smack the center. If you want a steady driving snare beat, use rimshots. They'll wake things up.

The kick sounds decent. Cutting a hole in the head aint a bad idea for future use. As long as the hole is relatively small - 4-6 inches - and far enough inboard on the head that it doesn't interfere with tuning, it won't alter the sound of the reso head much, if any. You can still get that fluffy outside-of-drum sound, and it will alllow you to get inside if you want.

Since you're recording through a mixer and can't adjust levels after the fact, make sure your snare and kick are loud in the drum submix. You might be surprised how easily they can get lost once you start piling stuff on.

Sounds ok to me, but I'm drum-tarded. So, I'll just say that it's good to have you back on the board again. :D

Back