A new Nate and Brendan track

fabulous song. :) sounds well recorded and hey, the recording actually puts some emotion across. that element seems to be missing around here more often than not. thumbs up for that. i'm iffy on the panning scheme and i don't think the solo guitar was up to par with the other performances. overall i like it a lot. vocals are great.

TravisinFlorida said:
fabulous song. :) sounds well recorded and hey, the recording actually gets emotion across. that element seems to be missing around here more often than not. thumbs up for that. i'm iffy on the panning scheme and i don't think the solo guitar was up to par with the other performances. overall i like it a lot. vocals are great.

thanks Travis!

I agree on the solo guitar and it's getting re-tracked. We lost our fender twin to a friends tour, and were using an AC30 which doesn't do jazzy soft solo guitar justice AT ALL.

And he could have played it better.

Thanks for your comments.

btw, the solo guitar panned left, what happened there? when it comes in, it sounds like it gets choked out. i think the tone of that guitar could work well as the main solo guitar.

dunno. something whacky happened in tracking it. that's the one that would get redone. the other we'll reamp and try to settle in the mix a bit

One more question if you don't mind brendandwyer. I hear a distortion over the entire track. It sounds good to my ears but maybe just a little on the heavy side. What is it? I think I'm hearing it on the drums and vocal mostly.

TravisinFlorida said:
One more question if you don't mind brendandwyer. I hear a distortion over the entire track. It sounds good to my ears but maybe just a little on the heavy side. What is it? I think I'm hearing it on the drums and vocal mostly.

i had to up the gain once it was mixed down to the masterlink. it's the first time i used the gain render function and i think it distorted out a little. I won't be using it again in that severity

brendandwyer said:
i had to up the gain once it was mixed down to the masterlink. it's the first time i used the gain render function and i think it distorted out a little. I won't be using it again in that severity

actually, i'm not sure that's the reason. and because of that i'm going to have to review it, because i don't like to hear that there is distortion i'm not fully aware of :)

brendandwyer said:
actually, i'm not sure that's the reason. and because of that i'm going to have to review it, because i don't like to hear that there is distortion i'm not fully aware of :)

it could be compression or a saturation effect? it reminded me of some of the saturation effects i've played with. it could also be my imagination. :p

TravisinFlorida said:
it could be compression or a saturation effect? it reminded me of some of the saturation effects i've played with. it could also be my imagination. :p

it could be compression. i'm going to have to keep an eye on that. or get better compressors :)

The mix seems a little heavy to the left in my headphones.
Travis is onto the other matters.
Well done.

rayc said:
The mix seems a little heavy to the left in my headphones.
Travis is onto the other matters.
Well done.
thanks man.

yeah it is left heavy. it was sort of a tracking mix, with another 1/2 hour of tinkering before the next session started so it was rushed a little.

Just a suggestion..

try a noise removal plug. Nothing major, but becomes a slight quirk when turning up the volume.

austinm08 said:
Just a suggestion..

try a noise removal plug. Nothing major, but becomes a slight quirk when turning up the volume.

we don't use daw's to record, it's all outboard recorders and tape.

however, if i bring the mix into the box to pre-master it, i'll check out the noise.

But i do think that noise is an artifact of the gain increase in the stereo recorder, i'll check it out

brendandwyer said:
we don't use daw's to record, it's all outboard recorders and tape.

however, if i bring the mix into the box to pre-master it, i'll check out the noise.

But i do think that noise is an artifact of the gain increase in the stereo recorder, i'll check it out

maybe the saturation i heard was tape? did you track hot?

TravisinFlorida said:
maybe the saturation i heard was tape? did you track hot?

i mixed to tape, so i think overall, it was a bit saturated.

i'm going to bypass the tape and mix down to cd the next mix session i do with this one.

Back