A new experiment.

Marcadiablo

Still a newbie
I used to have a Ska band for ten, maybe eleven years. This is the first ska song that I do since the band split a couple of years ago. I played everything, except the bass which was my old bass player giving me a hand. This is not final. I plan to eventually track some back vox and God knows what else. Let me guys know what you think. Thanks in advance.

If any of you play the trumpet and want to do the brass line for me, Is more than welcomed. :)

Sounds like a nice all around mix. Tight playing.

I would reduce the verb on the kick a bit and take some highs out of the hats, maybe reduce the 8k range down a bit.

I cant understand the lyrics :p

Thanks for the opinion, man. The verb in the kick must be the room mic. I will lower it down a bit and see how it sounds.

Last edited:
cool man..

Really loved this when I listened to it earlier...was wondering if you'd really played all those instruments (including the drums), now I know you used ez drummer ;-)

I like the style too...I'm not normally into ska, but this is almost a modern pop rock track with a hint of ska, stylistically speaking. Its very refreshing, imo.

ben.

I really like the lyrics. Wait, wrong thread. I don't speak Spanish.

Sounds pretty cool. Sounds as if it's coming along nicely.

Really nice tune. Impressive that you did it all yourself!

Would love to help you by putting in a brass line on the trumpet; but haven't picked mine up in the last 5 years, and feel at this point I would do more damage than good.

Good luck finding someone.

Yeah, thats my plan, to record at least a trumpet since it covers so much. I'll see if a friend of mine could come over to record it.

Once more a great song from you, Alex!
What amazes me most about your mixes is they sound so LIVE! It really sounds like a band in a studio. Your drum sound is great as always, it sounds to me like a real drummer. Maybe the horns could come down a little in places, but otherwise, beautiful song and beautiful lyrics. I'm a fan, can't help it... your songs come from the heart :D

Paz, hermano!
Joe :):):):):)

Once more a great song from you, Alex!
What amazes me most about your mixes is they sound so LIVE! It really sounds like a band in a studio. Your drum sound is great as always, it sounds to me like a real drummer. Maybe the horns could come down a little in places, but otherwise, beautiful song and beautiful lyrics. I'm a fan, can't help it... your songs come from the heart :D

Paz, hermano!
Joe :):):):):)
Thanks, buddy! Those words just inspires me to do better things. I'm kicking myself for the horns, but there's not much I can do other than a real ensemble. Take care, my friend. :)

I think you could get it tighter by shortening the guitar skank just a little bit. Vocals could somehow be more "present". Aquí estoyyyy :)

Best regards,
PK

Another nice song -- I think I agree about shortening the guitar strums to more of a staccato.

One day I'm going to have to check out ezdrummer. In the meantime, I've been teaching my 2 year old to play drums. It sounds really lo-fi, mainly because I can't play them either.

I played French horn in elementary and middle school. My son played trumpet in elementary school, and we still have it. On second thought, that's a terrible, awful idea :) -- maybe I can talk him into a bagpipe track -- no... wait... even more awful :D

Another nice song -- I think I agree about shortening the guitar strums to more of a staccato.

One day I'm going to have to check out ezdrummer. In the meantime, I've been teaching my 2 year old to play drums. It sounds really lo-fi, mainly because I can't play them either.

I played French horn in elementary and middle school. My son played trumpet in elementary school, and we still have it. On second thought, that's a terrible, awful idea :) -- maybe I can talk him into a bagpipe track -- no... wait... even more awful :D
Thanks, bud! About the strumming, I only like to do that when it a really upbeat song. For this kind, it doesn't suit so well. At least for my taste. Bring on the bagpipes! :D

The bass drum is deep - feels like it's coming from the back of my head (h/phones).
The chuck chuck guitar could be a little choppier.
The horn lines form the synth are good - will be better with something real to give them context.
The bass is really cool but nowhere near ska enough for my taste.
REALLY cool production & mixing.

Back