A netlabel - just launched with a couple of other artists

zoomoon

Hey everyone,

A couple of music-making friends and I recently launched a Netlabel. It's called Harbor Sounds Records. We release music of the three artists that staff the label, but a major feature is that we also release mixtapes from a bunch of artists. The first one is here:

https://soundcloud.com/harbor-sounds-records/sets/mixtape-1-0113

It's mostly an online thing, and we're doing promotion on soundcloud and facebook, and should be emailing some blogs and things pretty soon. Tell me what you guys think. Anyone else here run a netlabel or have any experience with one? I'd be interested in hearing any perspective on challenges, difficulties, successes, or anything else.

Yep, it's as the wiki article suggests, a label operating digitally. All of the artists own their own work, however, and we have guests, so I see it as music curation, in a way. Another way to see it is music filtration: out of all of the home-recorded music and independent bands out there, we select the ones we like the best, based on our own musical tastes, and put together a collection. So we're doing some work for listeners, in that we're filtering at the lowest level, and sharing music that we hope others will enjoy.

Back