A MIDI Clockwork Orange

jax

I'd greatly appreciate a little help. I, who am not familiar with MIDI and who has only just purchased a MDR (my first digital recorder) am looking for a little more control over my drum mix. I have an ALESIS SR 16 drum machine. The drum machine has 6 analog outs to which I must assign drum parts, however I can easily find so many more than that to send to my FOSTEX VF-08. The recorder has 2 analog ins. Both machines have MIDI ins and outs. Instead of using my analog mixer with an outboard fx, I'd like to have more control over the mix. Right now I'm having to send out a stereo mix of the drum tracks to the 2 inputs in the FOSTEX. I cannot take advantage of all the mixing features that it has like this. As i understand it MIDI has 16 channels. Am I able to use a MIDI method to EQ, COMP, and use the effects within the recorder?The recorder by the way has plenty of tracks. Is there another routing option? Do these things even speak to each other? Righty right then my little droogies how about it? JAX

Do I understand you right when I think you are trying to say that you want more that two tracks for the drum machine, so be able to apply effects separately on separate sounds?

If thats what you want, you might try to use sync to sync the drummachine to the VF-08. That way your could record two drum tracks at a time and then mix them together. The VF-08 supposedly can output Midi Clock.

Back