A Mic pre amp...

faabud

I bought a Shure SM58 mic and I have a Soundblaster Live Plat 5.1 I need a mic pre amp that's fairly cheap. Any suggestions on a name a brand. I want the pe amp to be under $100 canadian. My local Mother's Music Store suggested a pre amp for $60 called the Midi Man or something but they were out of stock. They are out of stock of all pre amps till next week so when I go in next week I want to know what I should be looking for.

Behringer makes a compact 4 channel mixer, the MX 602A. It has 2 XLR inputs with mike gain controls and 2 regular 1/4" inputs with 3 band EQ on all channels. Don't know what they are going for now but i saw them recently for around $75 US. It's a well made piece of equipment made mostly of steel, not plastic. I used one for a while with exactly the same setup you have until i got serious and outgrew it by a couple thousand dollars. It works so good i sometimes still use it for miking my acoustic guitar by the way. Some people don't seem to care for behringer's preamps but it works good for me.

Well I would prefer a stand alone Pre amp to keep costs down. Later on when I get $$$ then I would invest in a high end mixer. For now I only need the mic for vocals. So want to know the best pre amp for the money. Something basic. I'll check out the mixer you said though.

These 2 are the most commonly mentioned. Both seem to get pretty good reviews, given the price. The ART is a single channel, the Presonus 2 channels.

Art Tube MP - About $100 US
Presonus Blue Tube - $150 US

Those are the 2 that jump out at me, keeping your guidlines in mind. There are also assorted ones by Joe Meek, Mindprint, dbx, etc...but they are a little more spendy.

Faabud, I think that that Behringer board is your best bet for a cheap MP........ a decent stand alone MP starts with the ART, and then up from that a little is the Presonus....

Sabith

Alright. Thanks for all the suggests. I will be going back to Mothers next week and I will take a look at all of those. My other possible option would be a Mackie 1202VLZ Pro but that's way out of my price range but I know I would love to buy it but I am trying to restrain myself. Thanks I'll take a look at all that was suggested.

Back