A metal tune from my latest project

It must have been mixed by the guitar player because the guitars are way overbearing. I don't hear the thump of the kicks or much from the bass or cymbals. Snare is where it should be. I'm guessing here, but try pulling the guitars waayyyyyy down and then maybe everything else will fall into place.

have fun,

Yup, guitars are way to loud. From what I can hear of other things it sounds squashed too. Nothing audible happening in the sub-bass either.

It must have been mixed by the guitar player because the guitars are way overbearing. I don't hear the thump of the kicks or much from the bass or cymbals. Snare is where it should be. I'm guessing here, but try pulling the guitars waayyyyyy down and then maybe everything else will fall into place.

have fun,

Yep,i'm the guitarist so i probably mixed it guitar heavy.I'm also playing bass on this and using drum loops.I tried actually not to mix it guitar heavy since i'm playing bass and created the drum lines.I wanted them all to be heard in the mix but i guess it's more of a subconcious thing giving the guitar preference.I did pull the bass back a little cause i didn't feel it was my strongest playing.I find bass hard to play with my little stubby fingers and i'm not as consistent with my attack and playing levels.I tend to play the easier parts a bit louder.

Yup, guitars are way to loud. From what I can hear of other things it sounds squashed too. Nothing audible happening in the sub-bass either.

I did do a little bit of self mastering on this.Nothing crazy but maybe i crushed it with the limiter a bit too much.I had it louder but turned it down since i could hear it squashing too much.Maybe it needs to be turned down a bit more yet.It was a quiet mix to begin with.I also have slight eq on the whole mix.I had more sub lows on it around 250 hz but thought the mix was too boomy so i backed it off a bit.I also cut the highs on the mix about 1 dcb around 10000khz.

Thanks for the replies and comments.I'll pull the guitars down and see where i'm at mix wise.

Sounds like you are mixing with headphones.

No headphones.I'm still learning my monitors though and mixing the bass seems to be giving me the most trouble.I do have bass traps in my room.When i listen on my home stereo and in my car it always seems bass heavy so i try to compensate by pulling some of the bass frequencies out.Oddly enough my computer speakers seem to give me a better comparison when i check my mix against others here in the clinic.

This sounds much more balanced. I think you have overcompensated by pulling out too much bottom end. The bass guitar could use a little more grunt to it.

I find I have the same problem, being a drummer I tend to bring out the drums a bit too much :) listen to your mix on a very wide range of speakers. Ipod headphones, Home Stereo, Car, Monitors, Laptop Speakers and also listen to some polished metal mixes on those systems. See how yours compares :)

remix #2

I took the eq off the rythm guitars and put some more low end back into the bass.I think the guitars are a little less buzzy now and the overall low end sounds a little better to my ears.I pulled some highs down on the master buss eq also.

D311 by Toddmc on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

For the life of me i can't figure out how to get rid of that little noise at the beginning of the song.It's not on my recording and i have a fade in at the beginning of my song to cover the small second of silence.Every song i upload to soundcloud has this.I've listened to other folks songs on soundcloud and they don't have the noise.

There's a lot more weight to the kick in the #2 mix. Bass seems a little light on headphones, but it's better than the 1st mix. What I can hear of it sounds good. Mix is a lot better balanced over all. Have you tried leaving a second of silence at the start of your mp3 to get rid of that glitch?

There's a lot more weight to the kick in the #2 mix. Bass seems a little light on headphones, but it's better than the 1st mix. What I can hear of it sounds good. Mix is a lot better balanced over all. Have you tried leaving a second of silence at the start of your mp3 to get rid of that glitch?

Thanks for the comments.I brought the highs down about 1 dcb on my drum loops since i thought the cymbals were a bit harsh.It may have effected the overall dynamics of the drums.With loops i can eq the drums as a whole but i loose some control in other aspects.I like my bass drums to have that little snap for metal.I'll try to add a half dcb back to the drums and see how it sounds.

All my songs have a few seconds of silence at the beginning with a sharp fade in.That's what's bugging me about the noise.When i listen to my songs,whether it be mp3 or wave on my pc with windows media player,i don't get that noise.I've burned to disc and played all my tunes on my home stereo,boombox and car stereo and get no noise.I've uploaded 3 different tunes and got the same thing each time.Maybe it's just something with Soundcloud but i don't hear it on other folks tunes.

I figured maybe the level of the few seconds of silence was being brought up a bit during the uploading process and that was causing the noise.I'm gonna try uploading it to my verizon site and see if i get the same thing.

Back