A live gig for the first time...

BaltJack

Alright,
The opportunity came up for me to mic and mix a live gig. It's going to be heavy on vocals and background vocals...hell...it's a college accapella group. :) I've never done anything like this before, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips for me.

Since I've only got one mic (mxl v67), I guess I'm going to have to purchase (or rent) some mics for this. my idea is to mic the greoup in the background with a couple of instrument condensors, and then a mic in front for the soloist. maybe one more mic just for the basses. Seem like a good/bad idea?

Also, since this is live, I know I'll probably need a notch filter or soemthing to cut feedback, a condensor to boost everything, and possibly reverb to fill out the sound.

Wow. I might be in over my head. This is going to be fun. :)
Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
-balt

How many singers? How many tracks can you record at once? Depending on how many tracks you have to work with, I'd try to patch into their live rig and record what you can from there in addition to placing your own mics (I'm assuming they'll be using their own mics and PA). I'm also assuming you meant to say "compressor" rather than condenser, which is probably a good idea if you're very careful.

Back