A little something of my own...

imacgreg

Here's a song that I wrote, still no vocals, mainly cause I can't sing worth beans. I really wish I could sing or knew someone that could cause this song might be cool if it had a little lead vox action goin' on. I know the recording isn't the best, but go ahead and critique as much as physically possible, there's gotta be stuff wrong with it that I kinda mentally block out.

Just kinda interested in general thoughts and I kinda wanted to share a little of my own music. Yeah, and I'm really partial to the little lead guitar breaks (not the solo) so don't go there :rolleyes:

:D Naw, not really...

Anyway, here she goes:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1357&alid=-1

Thanks,
Ian

Sounds pretty good......I like where it drops off and builds back up.....good drums....guitar just a litlle bit thin for my tastes....only a little though.....ride needs to be louder.........I like the guitar fading out with a hint of feed back.....nice long single stroke snare roll...........actually I find the recording to be fairly good.
What all are you playing on this? Hmmmmmmm...let me go read your post to see if you already said.......Nope......so what are you playing, what's the chain, are those real drums? and so on.

Lt. Bob,
Wow, thanks for checking it out so fast. The guitars are my Ibanez RG520 through a JCM800 2203 and Marshall 4x12 cranked like a mo'fo. Then an SM57 was placed on one of the speakers and through a homebrew Neve 1272 mic pre. Drums were live. A tama rockstar set played by my good friend Joe. Kick was ATM25 through same home/neve pre. Snare was my secret weapon Sony mic of an unknown make (little small SD condenser). OH's were Marshall 603's and low tom was Senn 421. All mics going through Millennia Media HV-3 mic pres except kick. The bass was tracked direct and played by me on a fender J. Uuh, anything else??

All tracked to N-track and mixed within.

Ian

not too bad of a recording.. It could use some more meat though.. like a stronger bass drum.. maybe with eq it can be fixed.. The whole thing needs more low end on the bass and the drums IMHOP.. 'meat'

It was better than I thought it was going to be.. pretty cool song..

EDIT - I just read the Lt.'s post and I agree it sounds a bit thin..

The drums are cool. Like BS and Bob said, it's a little thin. More bass and kick.

Tempo is borderline stable at the begining. Settles in though. Do you use a click track?

This song really needs vocals!

Emeric,
No click track was used, just the drummer and I (playing bass) sitting in the same room, hammering it out.

I really wish I could sing...:mad:

Ian

Cool imacgreg...

I liked everything but the lead guitar. Way too thin and with no vibrato, it's kinda awkward for my ears. Almost sounded out of tune.. But that's probably just me.

Try a direct box for the bass. It'll help add some more meat.

What kind of snare? That does not sound like a stock Tama rockstar snare.. I know, I have one... those drum tracks were awesome. Maybe a little more oomph in the kick.

Anywho, nice job overall.

JR,
Good ears! That isn't the Tama Rockstar snare, it's a pork pie of some kind. I think it's a 13x5". The bass was DI'ed, but I had to autotune it (OUCH :eek: ) cause it was out of tune and I was in a hurry. Glad you liked the drum sounds, the drummer is pretty good, although I have always struggled with his sounds. On the other hand the drum sounds on this recording were much better (IMHO) http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1787&alid=-1 although the drummer has a cheaper set.

I did roll of quite a bit of low end on the lead guitar, cause I usually have to do a whole lot of Hi-pass when mixing. Prolly coulda kept a little cholesterol in.

Ian

I agree with B.SABBATH, good song though. Reminds me of Bush or something. What program did you track on if any?

soundprizm,
Thanks for the comments. The song was tracked on N-Track Studio using a Gadget Labs Wave 8*24 soundcard.

Ian

This is pretty cool. It has the potential to be VERY cool.

For grins, I d-loaded it and did about a 5 db boost (Q=.45) with the center at 200Hz. Warmed it up a ton.

You should get somebody to sing this...they could sing about fish, it wouldn't matter, it's a cool tune.

Don't stop yet.
:D
-chris

Ok, ok. I will try and remix this song later tonight or tomorrow (no work !!!!). I will keep your comments on thinness and lack of bass in my mind. I think I might retrack bass and get it a little beefier/Ampegy. I'll repost when I have a new version up. I may even find someone to sing for it, that would be cool.

Any ideas for lyrics???

Ian

Hey Imacgreg,
very cool vibe to this,..... ........yeah man, you need a singer, theres lots of room, and a great feel for a great vocal on this.
Some of the lead guit parts get a little hairy in parts. I love all of the feedback......... very nice. Nice build and chorus at 2:25.
Great work man...... .....cant wait to hear it w/ vocs.

g

Ok, I fattened it up a bit. I didn't really try to make the little lead guitar all that much bigger. I think I like it being a little small, especially in relation to the rythm guitars. Kinda a contrast thing, I guess.
Hopefully the drums are a bit beefier, especially the kick. The bass guitar was also bumped up a tad. The new song is "part 2" or something like that, and can be found from the same link that's in my first post. I left the original up as well to compare to.

I'm excited to see what Chris has got for me in the way of lyrics...
If anyone else has any lyric/song/mixing ideas, those are still welcome too.

Ian

Back