A Little Kudos

PeteHughes

Hi folks

https://soundcloud.com/peter-hughes-36/a-little-kudos

Looking for feedback on this mix, and perhaps suggestions for how to move it to a more professional level.

The track consists of the following elements:

DAW = Reaper

Bass guitar: Trillian VST - "Rock P-Bass Pick Mute"

I tried a new approach with the bass mixing... I separated the bass guitar into 3 separate send channels, which I then EQ'd using a band pass filter into three isolated frequency ranges: Low (52 - 171) Mid (Hz 173 - 476 Hz) High (a 6 DB low cut from 20khz downwards). This then enabled me to compress and control the volume of each send channel (and therefore frequency range) individually. I had tried to achieve the same using multiband compressors before now, but I found that, for me, this gave a better result that was easier to control.

Lead & Rhythm Guitars - Trilogy VST - "Old School Slap"

I don't play guitar well, and I've not yet found an electric guitar VST that I was happy with. So for these parts I used a Trilogy VST (which is a bass guitar VST). I used a slap bass sound played in a high octave to impersonate a guitar sound. I fed this through Waves GTR3 Guitar Tool Rack, to add Pedal Wah, Tone Delay, and Amp modelling. Some heavy band pass EQ, then doubled the track with a hard pan left and right, adding chorus to the right channel to aid separation.

Drums - Superior Drummer - Music City USA Default Kit

Programmed my own drums, then carefully substituted hats, kick and snare lines with ones from live "drum grooves" to make them sound more natural and less programmed.

Lead Vocals

Recorded directly into the DAW via a Focusrite 2i2, the vocals were originally a full tone out of tune, with a number of pitch and timing issues. I was able to fix this to a reasonable degree by hand-drawing the correct notes in Waves Tune, which is a fantastic tool for correcting vocal pitch.

In terms of feedback, I'm looking for understanding around how I can improve my use of reverbs and delays to create a better sense of space and separation within the mix.

Cheers

Kick really hits hard for me on my headphones. Bass sounds great but maybe could use a little more low end? Pretty cool use of the pitch effect. Never heard it in this kind of song.

Good song and performances. Kick is a bit much for me. There's some kind of effect on the vocal that gives it a harsh and grating sound. Overall the track sounds over-compressed--murder by mastering.

I've been struggling to find a good reference song for this. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cher's Believe?

Ha just kidding. The song is pretty cool. I actually quite like the vocal effect. Sorry I can't help with any advice on reverb. It's use is illegal in my country

Back