A Little Help....

HomesickAlien

Posted this in the wrong forum... My apologies... Hopefully this is now in the right place...

Heya... Kinda new here and was hoping to get some input on a few things.
I'm in the middle of trying to piece together a new rig consisting of:

(these 3 will be rackmounted in a gator case because I really want it to be mobile so I can record gigs, rehearsals, etc...)

1. Monster Power Conditioner
2. RME fireface 800
3. ART HeadAmp 6 PRO

4. Tannoy Reveal 501A 5" Active 2-Way Monitors
5. QSC GX3 Power Amp (I already have a pair of passive monitors but have been using a shitty A/V receiver as an amp)

Ok. So first of all, if anyone wants to criticize this set up.. openly do so, i'm up for suggestions - but as far as monitors go, i can't really afford
anything better than the Reveals right now and will eventually be investing in some better passive units than I already have...

My big question is this - I am wondering if I can also mount the power amp with the units 1-3 in a gator case.. Or is the amp going to generate too much noise,
making it a bad idea.. Obviously I'm not going to be mic'ing the gator case but I'm just learning about power amps so I really am clueless when it comes to this.. I'm talking electrical noise or maybe something I've never heard of... I'd like to know the ideal place for the power amp in a studio since I've never owned one.

Anyways.. I tried searching the forums but really couldn't come up with an answer...

Oh, and am I missing anything? Yeah yeah... computer, mics, pres, blah blah blah.. I'm talking in my chain - have I overlooked anything fairly obvious or does this sound like a decent rig?

The power amp will generate heat so should probably be mounted to allow adequate ventilation.

But what the hell would an idiot like me know.

Seriously dude. You might want to moderate your attitude and allow a little more time before flaming.

If you are recording gigs and rehearsals the power amp and monitors are useless anyway get decent headphones.
If you are mixing down at home the power amp is useless save the money and get a decent amp or active monitors - the QSC is a gig amp

Really? none of you idiots can tell me if the power amp can live in my rack or not?
Boo.
Where are all the smart ones..

Yo, Dumbfuck.

You overlooked being patient and not being a douche. Good luck getting any info using that route.

The "smart ones" were playing music last night and not scouring the interwebs for dumbass questions from people with shitty attitudes from TO.

Was that little enough help for you?

Really? none of you idiots can tell me if the power amp can live in my rack or not?
Boo.
Where are all the smart ones..

You mean the idiot / smart ones that can read and learn for articles instead of wanting the answer NOW with NO WORK Input of my own. Good luck with your future plans with an attitude like you have. Did you think that you did not get an answer coz everyone does not sit at the computer 24hrs a day and we don't all live in the same time zone as you?

If I were you I would now apologise and hope that in the future you may get some help.

:eatpopcorn::eatpopcorn::eatpopcorn:

Here's what I don't understand: Why does he need the power amp if he's got active monitors? What am I missing?

I'm assuming that you are young, based on your apparent need for instant gratification. Just remember that this is an online community, not tech support. We aren't all just sitting around waiting to answer questions from customers. Nobody's getting paid, and everyone has something else that they could be doing instead of trying to help someone out with a problem.

For future reference: a 'please' and a 'thanks' will get you the results you want much faster than insults.

"The power amp will generate heat so should probably be mounted to allow adequate ventilation.
But what the hell would an idiot like me know.
Seriously dude. You might want to moderate your attitude and allow a little more time before flaming."

The heat issue is good to know since I really don't know anything about mounting power amps.

------------------------------------------------------

"If you are recording gigs and rehearsals the power amp and monitors are useless anyway get decent headphones.
If you are mixing down at home the power amp is useless save the money and get a decent amp or active monitors - the QSC is a gig amp."

Thanks you.

--------------------------------------------

"Yo, Dumbfuck.
You overlooked being patient and not being a douche. Good luck getting any info using that route.
The "smart ones" were playing music last night and not scouring the interwebs for dumbass questions from people with shitty attitudes from TO.
Was that little enough help for you?"

Sorry, it was frustrating to see the amount of views and no responses. So, I decided to post a sarcastic reply - I know there are tons of smart
ones on here and it didn't help that at the time I was actually at a gig and had had a few - I would apologize but this has been too much fun.

----------------------------------------------------------

"You mean the idiot / smart ones that can read and learn for articles instead of wanting the answer NOW with NO WORK Input of my own. Good luck with your future plans with an attitude like you have. Did you think that you did not get an answer coz everyone does not sit at the computer 24hrs a day and we don't all live in the same time zone as you?
If I were you I would now apologise and hope that in the future you may get some help."

You are somewhat right - I apologize - which by the way, you did spell wrong. I hope you may get some help before you destroy the English language.

------------------------------------------------

"Here's what I don't understand: Why does he need the power amp if he's got active monitors? What am I missing? I'm assuming that you are young, based on your apparent need for instant gratification. Just remember that this is an online community, not tech support. We aren't all just sitting around waiting to answer questions from customers. Nobody's getting paid, and everyone has something else that they could be doing instead of trying to help someone out with a problem."

I'm assuming that you are young, based on your apparent need to not read a post correctly. Just remember that you are part of an online support system. You can't help unless you understand the problem.

By the way - I am sorry. It was meant to be sarcastic. Read it how you will.

"You mean the idiot / smart ones that can read and learn for articles instead of wanting the answer NOW with NO WORK Input of my own. Good luck with your future plans with an attitude like you have. Did you think that you did not get an answer coz everyone does not sit at the computer 24hrs a day and we don't all live in the same time zone as you?
If I were you I would now apologise and hope that in the future you may get some help."

You are somewhat right - I apologize - which by the way, you did spell wrong. I hope you may get some help before you destroy the English language.

I did spell wrong, however I did it on purpose, part of my sarcasm which I can't help, to quote the great Moose, "I can speak English, I learnt it from a boook". By the way apologise is spelt with an s not a z unless you are in the US as they spell everything wrong.

Thanks for the apology.

Cheers
Alan.

By the way - I am sorry. It was meant to be sarcastic. Read it how you will.

With that out of the way, and minor disagreements over "s"s and "z"s notwithstanding, it's onward and upward!

You can start taking the pi$$ when we're all better acquainted :p

Paul

bygones

Anyway, back to my question. Did I miss something? Why are you needing a power amp in your rack if you're using active monitors?

Your not suppose to! Why hasn't anyone ever corrected me on this? :cursing:

And I assume the K's are silent in Knuckle head Kn00b as well.

Reminds me of... Monte Python's Book Shop Sketch!!!!

Customer: (entering the bookshop) Good morning. Proprietor (John Cleese): Good morning, sir. Can I help you?

C: I wonder if you might have a copy of "Rarnaby Budge"?

P: No, as I say, we're right out of Edmund Wells!
C: No, not Edmund Wells - Charles Dikkens.
P: (pause - eagerly) Charles Dickens??
C: Yes.
P: (excitedly) You mean "Barnaby Rudge"!
C: No, "Rarnaby Budge" by Charles Dikkens. That's Dikkens with two Ks, the well-known Dutch author.
P: (slight pause) No, well we don't have "Rarnaby Budge" by Charles Dikkens with two Ks, the well-known Dutch author, and perhaps to save time I should add that we don't have "Karnaby Fudge" by Darles Chickens, or "Farmer of Sludge" by Marles Pickens, or even "Stickwick Stapers" by Farles Wickens with four M's and a silent Q!!!!! Why don't you try W. H. Smith's?

Back