A little help with firebox and cubase

austin4130

I'm tracking some electric guitar right now, the chain is like this -

guitar/amp -> studio projects b-1 -> presonus tubepre -> firebox -> comp

okay, so when i'm playing, and watching the meter on the tubepre and the one on the mixer in cubase, its in the yellow section (not sure on the exact db, if someone could help me with that, that would be nice too!)

then when i play it back, its all quiet.

the amp sounds super full bodied, has a good tone... the mic is in a good spot too. it's just recording very quietly. any tips on getting the right volume/tone?

i know i'll probably get a lot of hateful "use the search, jackass!" replies, but this is a little hard to search for so just save those comments please.

The firebox has a good pre, why use the tubepre? Anyway, are you connecting from the tubepre to the line-in of the firebox? If the db meter in cubase shows the signal is loud, then nothing is wrong with the setup. Just turn up the volume. It may be that the music you are comparing to has been compressed to squeeze volume out of it, sacrificing the dynamics.

The firebox has a good pre, why use the tubepre? Anyway, are you connecting from the tubepre to the line-in of the firebox? If the db meter in cubase shows the signal is loud, then nothing is wrong with the setup. Just turn up the volume. It may be that the music you are comparing to has been compressed to squeeze volume out of it, sacrificing the dynamics.

well for vocals, the tubepre seems to bring out the clarity. plus it was free, so i figured i might as well use it a little!

but on cubase, i don't know what the actual db level is, soo i dont know if it's even the right db

Back