a little help please

Bobbs, BSG, the OP already has zero latency monitoring, the amp!

My assumption was that he wants to hear the modelled FX from the amp but with low latency?

I too have no knowledge of the Vypr and its works which is why I pointed the guy to the Peavey forum.

I also agree that if he wants software FX the C11 is the way to go.

Dave.

I tried the ASIO4 and it did have less latency, but then it starts to crap out. maybe the best thing would be to just plug my guitar into the stienberg interface and listen through headphones ,but then if I press play on the drum track would I be able to hear that as well ? and if I do that I would have to use the virtual instrument of the daw because I don't think the interface is able to connect to the amp. maybe I will do some more searching but this is complicated :(

Which Vypyr do you have? Most likely if it doesn't have a dedicated line output you can use the headphone out as a line out. The VIP series manual says exactly that.

Once set up correctly you can play stuff from the DAW (like your drum track) while monitoring and recording a live instrument.

its the vypyr 100. it has an auxiliary input(what ever that is), USB record out ,and headphones. are you saying you could hear everything through the headphones of the amp ?

No, I'm saying you can hear everything through the Steinberg. Connect the headphone output of the amp to a line input of the Steinberg using a normal guitar cable. Then connect your headphones to the Steinberg's headphone output and monitor your amp and your drum playback from the DAW together through the interface.

Create a track, set its input to one of the Steinberg's inputs, disable software input monitoring (you're using hardware input monitoring) or just mute the track, arm the track. Play the guitar and set the record level, start the playback and play along. Use the Mix knob to balance your guitar with the playback and adjust the overall headphone volume. When the record level is right and your headphone mix is right, hit record. Repeat as desired.

The Vyper has USB output - but probably not 2-way - it's amp > computer only, so can't be used for monitoring the previously-recorded tracks or click. If it is 2-way USB, then you shoudl be able to used the amp to 'direct monitor' as well as hear the previoulsy recorded tracks.
Otherwise, as already suggested, use the line out/headphone out of hte amp to the interface, and use it for monitoring.

the only problem with that is the headphones from the amp have a small jack.(the kind that plug into an I phone) so I would have to get an adapter. the amp USB woud still be pluged into the computer. I am assuming when I press play on the daw I would be able to hear everything back through the headphones of the interface. and I would be able to live moniter as I play,in theory ?

Okay, I think you should start at the top. First step, download the correct drivers from Steinberg for your computer, super easy, here is the link.....Start : CI Series | http://www.steinberg.net/ There is a button for downloads, click and follow the instructions. Next, any headphones will do, Fry's Electronics has these in stock, typically for 13 bucks, Amazon sells them for the same, free shipping. They work just fine and come with a 1/4 inch adaptor.....Amazon.com: JVC HAX580 DJ Style Monitor Headphones: Electronics
Although the Vypyr has USB outs, I think for lots of applications like playing along with Youtube jam tracks, the headphone jack routed into the Steinberg is the better route for realtime (zero latency) use. I would get a stereo male to two mono female plugs adaptor, so as not to short one side of the headphone amp. Also, many DAWs, including the one I am about to recommend, only support one audio device at a time. Your SM58 is a very good microphone, lots of well-known singers even use it on their records, like Bono of U2 and Mick Jagger, so you are good to go there. Now, go download Reaper, and worry not about the length of your trial, many people I know have used it far longer than 60 days, be sure to download the 32 bit version, as most freeware VST available is 32 bit, and your laptop will happily hum along. Once you have the drivers downloaded, go to your computer control panel, and make the Steinberg your default audio device, and plug your speakers into it instead of into the computer directly. It will pop up as one of the options when you click on the audio section of Devices. Once you have Reaper installed, go to the top row and click on Options, and go to the very bottom of that list, and select Preferences. A box will open, go to Audio/Devices. Select ASIO as the audio type, the Steinberg will appear as the input, you must click "Enable Inputs" to get it to talk to Reaper. Set the buffer to 256, and if there is a software page for the Steinberg, set it for 256 also. Click okay, and you are good to go. If you can figure out Audacity, Reaper will seem pretty easy. Now, go to youtube and search Quist Jam. He is a friend, he has lots of tracks to play along with, and with the Steinberg as your default audio device, plug the guitar amp headphone output into the Steinberg, and play with the mix control so that you can hear the video and the amp together. Voila, jam city, over the speakers or headphones. If you don't have iTunes, get it. Make it your default audio player when you import things. Youtube also has lots and lots of drum tracks played by guys with nothing better to do. If you search "Youtube to MP3", you will find a little converter that will turn those drum tracks into an MP3, and you can then import them into Reaper on a track, and build a little song around it. You are just fooling around, nobody cares, they are just happy to help someone get started. With these tools, all FREE, you can do amazing things without too much hassle or learning curve. And Reaper has a terrific forum and lots of helpful people if you get stuck. You may also PM me here, and I will send you a bunch of free VST things I have found online, keys, effects, dynamics. Have fun!!!!!!

thanks but routing things and knowing what works with what is complicated. im a pretty smart guy and I still cant figure this out. maybe I need to go to my local music store and tell them the problem and what I am trying to accomplish. and maybe they could point me in the right direction. because guess at things is not going to solve anything

thanks but routing things and knowing what works with what is complicated. im a pretty smart guy and I still cant figure this out. maybe I need to go to my local music store and tell them the problem and what I am trying to accomplish. and maybe they could point me in the right direction. because guess at things is not going to solve anything

Be systematic, draw up boxes of each bit of kit and try various connection regimes.

With audio you can connect anything to anything else pretty much (not speaker circuits) and there will not be any damage. You might get his or hum or cracking overload but these things are harmless (except to nerves!).

So, think of a setup, draw it out and then try it in "copper". If it works, great, if not, move on!

Don't know if the guy who doesn't do paragraphs said any of this but I don't read "lawyer text"!

Dave.

so I called the music store and there closed on Sundays. go figure. I guess I could ask the same question on here. If I buy a set of headphones and plug them into my interface, will I be able to hear the drum tracks on my daw through the headphones. because I know that pluging in my guitar through the interface might get rid of the latency problem,but I want to be able to play along to the drum track I created in real time ?

so I called the music store and there closed on Sundays. go figure. I guess I could ask the same question on here. If I buy a set of headphones and plug them into my interface, will I be able to hear the drum tracks on my daw through the headphones. because I know that pluging in my guitar through the interface might get rid of the latency problem,but I want to be able to play along to the drum track I created in real time ?

Most audio interfaces are designed to do just that: allow you to record while you listen to what's been recorded. You should be able to control the relative levels of input (e.g. guitar) and output (e.g. drum tracks) in the headphones.

Yes, the "Mix" knob on your Steinberg allows you to control the balance between pre-recorded stuff ("DAW") and what you're recording new ("Input").

Earlier you mentioned you were going directly from your VYPYR to the computer via USB though. I don't know if the VYPYR offers a similar function.

im not sure about that. I feel a little stuck right now until I get some headphones. hopefull next pay check. thanks

Don't know about your 10/20 but around here there are several "Its a Gift" type shops that sell Skyping headsets for £1.99 and up. Yes, soundwise they are poorly but good enough to hear stuff till you can get better. Usually come with a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter.

Dave.

My local supermarket has closed back headphones for Aus $9.99 (about $8 American/£4.).

Would I use them for critical monitoring? No way. But they're perfectly useful as "utility headphones"...for example, I did a live job last Thursday/Friday and used them for pre fade listening on my mixer so I didn't leave an expensive set of cans at the FOH position where somebody could get light fingered.

My local supermarket has closed back headphones for Aus $9.99 (about $8 American/£4.).

Heh! My old firm bought 11 sets of Senny' HD 202s and got a good deal. They were for demo repro at a show stand and so were likely to walk or be damaged. I built a 10 way stereo diss' box for them driven from a 50W hi fi amp.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back