A little help in deciding, please....

heylow

Fellaz,

Here's the deal....
I'm about to spring for an AT4033. It's something I've wanted for a while now knowing certain records I have that were recorded with them and the latest clips posted here kind of pushed me bit.

My question is, I was also thinking of getting an KSM32 in the future. I looked up specs and from what I can see, these two mics are somewhat similar. Do I go ahead and get the 4033 or maybe pony up a 50-75 bucks and get a used KSM32?? Are they similar? Is one hands down better? Are they different and worthy of existing together in a small mic locker?

This will be my step up from an NT1 (which I find harsh, BTW). I want to record Vox, guitars (acoustic and electric), maybe a little overhead action...whatever....kind of an all purpose deal.

So whaddaya think?

Thanks in advance guys.:cool:

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

If you get a 4033, get a second one and then a proper preamp instead of different mics. A stereo pair is far more useful in the long run, INHO, and the preamp will make more difference than the mic will once you get into pro range preamps... an sm57 probably sounds better though an API or Neve 1081 than a Neumann though an ART TubeMP (source subjective of course). Get a stereo pair, and you'll be set for overheads, especially since these are not large dia condensors, then get you something like a Rode NTK down the road for some flavorful contrast and a different color.
PS The $1500 GT mics are on blowout right now for like $300 and change at alot of places... might wanna take a lookee there, too... zzounds.com has a bunch too....

Thanks tube....err...dude:D

Good advice indeed and I feel good about thefact that the path you mentioned was pretty much what I had in mind...more or less. Not necessarily the stereo pair, but the plan was to get a descent all around kinda mic in the 3-400 dollar range, get a relatively nice preamp....maybe starting out in the midrange like an HHB channel strip or a Mindprint or whatever just to get ahead (haven't thought that hard on it) and believe it or or not the RODE NTK was top on the list for my first "big mic." I'd probably be looking into something better preamp-wise at this point.

See, I'm currently putting most everything I can into this and basicly having to get everything at once. I'm upgrading from a lowly Tascam PortaSomething where I didn't use much to a more "pro" home studio. I just recently got a Mackie MDR24 and an analog 24/8 to add to my couple of older DBX comps, an RNC and few assorted low end mics.

A friend is giving me a good deal on some powered Event monitors for a drum loop I helped him with so I'm getting there. Cable costs from the Recorder to the board are outrageous enough!:rolleyes:

Basicly I want to monitor off the Mackie and track through something nicer preamp-wise which isn't too tough since I record more track to track stuff.

My girlfriend is a web designer and is helping out a local studio. It happens that an engineer friend of mine who lets me work with him at said studio is also my drummer. The web work is being paid in studio time. The plan is to record drums at the nice studio using MY machine (since my gear stash is low) and bring it all back home to play with since it takes less gear to record everything else.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well...I don't know. Guess I just got to typing out loud...thanks for reading regardless and thanks for the advice:cool:

Just for the record, Tube...I take it you LIKE the 4033?

Thanks,

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

Back