"A Journey Through Time" Instrumental Prog

Tiko

Hi!

Here's an instrumental piece I co-composed, engineered, mixed & mastered. Drums are miced (the snare sound is what bothers me the most, mic placement and tuning should've been better), the rest DI (Amplitube for guitars & bass). Recorded with an M-Audio Profire 2626. All tips are welcome!

- Tiko

Those are some pretty good sounding fake guitar sounds if they are amplitude. The heavy guitar could have more low end though in the heavy riffs.

Composition is very dream theater. In that respect it's tough to do prog metal nowadays without sounding like a knockoff, they did just about every variation possible (and well) in their long career. That put aside, great arrangement and playing. Lead guitar work in particular is outstanding. It kept my interest for the duration, and that's no easy feat. lol

Mixing things...

Not a fan of the cheap synth sound. You might be able to modernize it a touch with stereo chorus, make it move a little in the mix rather than sit sterile dead center. Add a touch of distortion to it as well?
The bass guitar is, at times, a little muted. Could use more guts/balls when it's more alone in the mix (those few slower moments).
The rhythm guitar tone choices are good but maybe scoop a little of the lower-mids (150-300hz?) from it, just a touch too muddy sounding. This will allow the bass guitar to come through a little more too.
The kick drum could come up (could use a little more low end thump as well), and overall the drums feel too far back in the mix. Compressing the entire kit and/or just bringing it up more in the mix would help.
Once issues in the mix are addressed, do some mastering. It sounds pedestrian by today's standards. Think METAL! :p

Loves me some good prog...and this is DEFINITELY some good prog! :D
Love the change of beat at 2:43! That was awesome. Had to go back and listen a couple times.
Jazz at 4:45! :cool:
Solo at 7:00--very Guiffria/Wakeman vibe.
All the solos are very tasty if a bit wank noodly.
Don't kill yourself over the snare tone, but maybe back it off a bit and let it ride. Makes your track unique and most listeners aren't even going to realize it's not a great tone. It's just the beat to most peeps.

Very good composition, talented players. I think it was well done, and I only really noticed that the snare sounded a little out of its element because you said it, but I do think it sounds fine here.

Start reminded me of Styx Grand Illusion. I agree the Snare was a little pronounced, but not too much it was horrible. Knocked down a little would make it sit better.

On a production note, @ the 2:30 mark, I would have made it much cruncher, grimier to give it a good contrast.

Other than that, great tune, great playing, sounded really good.

Thanks guys, some really great advice here! This forum is an amazing resource for sure.

- Tiko

Back