A Helpful Recommendation

Polaris20

NEver build someone a computer, unless your blood related, and even then think twice.

I built a former co-worker a computer. Athlon 2800+, Asus mobo, Crucial memory SATA HD, Radeon 9600 AGP.

Burned it in for hours, and ran SiSoft SANDRA burn-in wizard. The same routine I've done for multiple machines for work, myself, and family members.

It runs like a top. Everything runs great on it. Jedi Outcast is unbelievable.

But one application (Adobe Premiere) which {surprise} happens to be a cracked version, crashes.

And it's my fault. The computer is junk. WTF????

Just a vent, and hopefully something to think about when someone asks you to build a computer for them. It most likely wouldn't be a problem. But who knows?

If any of you guys ever do do it, I'd recommend putting something in writing that says that you're not responsible if there's a problem with copied software.

There's a few cracks of Premier/ one I know is bad...sounds like you got that one.

I build systems for friends all the time. Rule 1... Out in the O/S and any bought software they have. After that there's no comebacks

Alec

Sounds like its not the hardware ;) . I always make it clear to my friends / family members that i DO NOT give a warranty on my machines. You want a warratny- buy a fuckin Dell. I will, however try to help em out if one of my builds is actually defective. I dont charage my peeps to build computers (Im on a favor / backscratching system) i dont charge to try to fix em, but if somethings toast and needs to be replaced, it wont come out of my pocket.
Tell em to get rid of his junk s/w and leave you the hell alone. Fuckin ingrates :) :D

There's the old story of the French Ambassador to Russia who had a job in his embassy to bestow. "Before", said he, "I had 11 friends. Now I have 10 enemies and an ingrate."

Well I got the box over at my house now. Premiere 6, which came out before XP even came out, and according to various sites sometimes runs fine with XP and sometimes not, depending upon hardware config.

Tons of spyware on there, that can't help. Ran SANDRA again, 40 degrees C even on the burn-in test on the CPU, 43 on the mobo.

Batch file conversion of 200 jpg's converted to tif's including sharpening and contrast adjustment filters in the automation. Not a hitch and extremely fast.

I right-clicked on the Premiere .exe file and set it to run in compatibility mode for 2000.

At this point I've done all I can. I have enough of a moral dilema working on a box with cracked software anyway.

I had the urge to reformat his drive.

Back