A+H, Fostex M80 Connections

Withneilandi

Hi there,

I'm completely new to analog recording and have just picked up a used Fostex Model 80. I have an Allen and Heath System 8 mixing desk which I'm trying to hook up to it. I got a 16 way loom free with the M80 but I can't figure out how to connect them up. The Allen and Heath outputs have me baffled. Does anyone know about connecting this particular board to an 8 track machine?

Many thanks,
Neil :)

Specifically,... no,... but

If the A/H has Subgroup-Outs or Pgm-Buss-Outs, connect those to the Model 80's inputs.

[In general you'd want to use buss outs routed to tape inputs, but with exceptions of sometimes using Direct-Outs from each channel to the tape inputs, varying on each particular production situation.]

=====

If the A/H has Tape-Returns, then connect the M80's outputs to those.

[If the A/H doesn't have Tape-Rtns, then getting the off-tape signal back into the board might require repatching of cables to Line-In or other inputs, which may create traffic problems or inadvertent feedback loops. Not knowing your specific mixer, I'd not be sure, but a proper recording mixer should have a tape return/submix section.]

====

If all else fails, there's a username MCI2424 who's more familiar with A/H, so he may stop by, or you might want to PM him.

====

Providing a list, picture or diagram of the patch points of the A/H mixer would benefit in someone helping you determine proper connection.

:eek:;)

Most helpful!

The manual for the mixer says I should be routing the tape repro outputs into the line inputs on the mixer which I understand. (I think!)

However it says that the eight mixer outputs are 'unbalanced on XLR, pins 1 & 2 (earth) and 3 (signal). There seem to just be two XLR sockets called output 1 and output 2 which I assume this refers to.

There is apparently something called the AHB 8 track harness which includes all necessary connections but I don't fancy trying to track one down!

I can't get a picture at the moment unfortunately.

Hopefully this vague information will ring a bell for someone. I've been recording for years on DAWs and I buy a tape deck and I'm suddenly stumped by where to plug a couple of leads!

Back