A guide to maintain my guitar

Waffleness

Hello,

I own a cheap yamaha pacifica guitar. Its a decent instrument, I really like it, and its comfortable to play, but I will admit its not an expensive peice of kit.

I have had it for 2 years now, and I think it needs a look over to keep it sounding nice. I have re-wired all the electrics inside (as its pretty simple and i understand that stuff) but I need some help with the mechanical bits of the instrument - e.g. the action, springs/screws that I dont understand.

I don't really want to take it to a guitar shop to have it tweaked, because they will probably charge me as much as its worth.

Are there any tutorials/guides on the net for maintaining guitars that you would recommend?

Thanks!

W

Here's a good, quick article- a good place to start:
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/String_action_and_setup/i-3910.html
Also, Stew-Mac is a good place for books and supplies.
Take measurements BEFORE you do any work. This way you can quantify any changes made and can always get back to where you were originally.
Always take care when adjusting the truss rod- other than that, you really can't do too much to hurt your guitar, so have at it and have fun!

Remember; small changes with the right tools:D

Go to Stew-Mac, and buy Dan Erlewine's book. It's everything you need to know, and you don't have to sift the dross that is ALWAYS present on the internet.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back