A great opportunity or a waste of money?

Alright, I emailed Jeff Anderson at Sound Logic Studios a year ago about an internship, no dice, but now one year later I get this email from him:

The 2009 Sound Logic Recording Workshop will be held on May 22nd from 6p – 10p and the 23rd from 10a – 5p. Participants will spend around 15 hours of “hands on” class time followed by their own 4-hour in studio session. You will have a studio engineer available to help with your session and you are able to bring in a band of your choice, or we will get one for you.

This is an awesome opportunity to learn from both Jeff Anderson, Mixing engineer / Producer/ host of EQTV and writer for EQ Magazine as well as Sound Logic’s Chief Engineer Scott Rottler. The classes are held at Sound Logic Recording Studio, located just outside of Lafayette Indiana, utilizing today’s top pro audio recording equipment. We can help to arrange accommodations for students traveling from out of town.

The cost of the recording workshop is $310.00. Financing is available, please reply to this e-mail if your interested. The class will include all necessary litature, cabling and meals. If you would like to attend, please reply to this e-mail and I will send over an application. We only allow 10 students per class so that everyone can have the hands on attention required to learn this material. I do want to let you know that these classes typically fill up within the first week or two of it being announced, so please do let me know if you are interested ASAP.

Below is a basic syllabus of the class. To learn more about Sound Logic, please surf to our website, www.soundlogicrecording.com

Thanks so much for your time and interest and I hope to see you there!
CONTACT _Con-419BAF1A1 \c \s \l Jeff Anderson

The typical syllabus used for this 3-day workshop is as follows:

CLASS 1 Friday Night

Tour of the Studio

Sound Basics

Frequency/Hertz

DB

Phase/Polarity

Mono/Stereo

Studio Design

Signal Flow

Signal Types/Levels

Standards and References

Wiring/Patch Panels (Students will Solder their own Guitar or Mic Cables) Materials Provided)

CLASS 2 Saturday

Microphones

Introduction to Transducers

Microphone Types

Polar Patterns

Usage/Placement

Console Signal Flow

Inline Operation vs. Split Operation

Channel Path/Monitor Path

Inputs

Busses

Auxes

Groups

Inserts

Tape Sends/Returns

Pans

Master Section

Advanced Routing Functions

Patchbays

Recorders

Types Available

Analog

DAWS

Processing

Compression/Limiting

Expansion/Gating

EQ/Filtering

Reverb/Delay

Lunch Provided

Recording a Band ( you will be recording a live band in the studio!)

Setting Up

Mic Placement/Cabling

Psychology

Documentation

Tracking a Song

Overdubs

Cleaning Up

Mixing a Song

Editing

Autotuning

Setting Up a Mix

Utilizing EQ, Compression, Reverb,

Phase

Levels

Automation

Dynamic Mixing

Documentation

Mix-down Medium

Mastering

Available mediums

Fade IN’s and Outs

Compression

EQ

Levels

Business

Positions in the music business

How to get a job

Ways to make money with your music using your home studio

How Sound Logic Operates

Mistakes we’ve learned from

Individual Sessions.

Every student will have a 4-hour session at which time they must, record, mix and master their own project from start to finish. The student may bring in their own group, or we will provide one for them. They will have an engineer from Sound Logic provided, but solely as an assistant.

If you have any other questions about the workshop, please contact Jeff Anderson at jeff@lafayettestudio.com
Watch my latest video productions on EQTV, www.eqmag.tv
Read my latest articles for EQ Magazine, www.eqmag.com
Check out my current projects at, www.soundlogicrecording.com/News.html

Jeffery J. Anderson
Mixing Engineer ~ President
Sound Logic LLC
www.soundlogicrecording.com

800-732-6476 Sound Logic LLC Office
765-523-2499 Studio A
765-404-4738 Cell
800-733-6544 Beth Walkup, Assistant
765-523-3397 Fax

Alright, I am slightly concerned that he randomly emails me now and only gives me till the end of April to make the first payment of $103 (learned that in a subsequent email. His web site www.soundlogicrecording.com seems pretty legit, and he has credentials. Let me know what you guys think, I have to let him know in the next day or two if I'm doing this.
James

I do not know Mr. Anderson, either personally, professionally, or by reputation. But this sounds like a creative way to "keep the lights on." Frankly, I am not seeing a whole lot of value in the "seminar."

I'd pass.

I know Jeff. I bought my ms16 from him years ago. This is legit. They have a nice studio and he knows his shit. I believe they did three doors down recently. Jeff is a good networker so he doesn't waste e mail addresses, especially ones from people who have expressed an interest in learning from them. I still hear from him. If you're near there I think that $310 isn't a bad deal.

I live in Lafayette and know Jeff. He is definitely legit, and does mixing projects for names that you would recognize.

In fact, I was over at his place last week. A friend of mine was having a project mixed by Scott Rottler.

Check out Sound Logic's equipment list. (and there are more goodies there than are currently listed on the site) I drool every time I go over there. And even though as a home recordist I am on the low end of the chain, these guys are always willing to talk gear with me, and offer helpful suggestions on what I am doing. They're some of the good guys.

As far as internships go, with the state of comercial studios these days, they are few and far between. Jeff has people contacting him about internships, and even seasoned pros looking for work, constantly. It's just not available. The recording business is now more entrepreneurial than it has ever been.
Learn what you can from those with experience, and hang out your shingle. This would seem to be one of those learning opportunities.

Oh, and everyone needs to keep the lights on.

Oh, and everyone needs to keep the lights on.

I can respect that, and I think my post reflects that respect. It has been my experience that such seminars are not always the best way to spend one's money ("clinics" are much worse, and guitar clinics, albeit usually free, are just glorified concerts/ego strokes for the guitarist- everyone else just stands around listening, ZERO instruction takes place.) Again, I can not comment on the value Mr. Anderson's name or reputation adds to this seminar, but I can say these two things (one "for," one "aginst):

FOR: It appears that there is some value there- some of the things covered may be "holes" in someone's knowledge and understanding, and the opportunity to record a band (I do like that participants can bring their "own" band- the band gets a presumably professional-quality session to record their demo, and the participant could recoup some of the cost from the band members.)

AGAINST: There seems to be a bit of "fluff" in the syllabus: "tour of the studio" and "Sound basics" being the first two I saw- I suspect some of the students will already have a good grasp of some of this stuff, the course should be a bit more sharply targeted.

And this is a fine point, but it says "3-day," but I only see two days accounted for.

I'm not saying this is not a good seminar, just that the money might be better spent- caveat emptor, and all that stuff.

There's a similar recording facility near me, Edie Road that offers courses only the program is a month long which to me makes alot more sense. They have Gordon Davies, Marc Fuller and Chris Roberson teaching, all great engineers. The part that hurts is it cost $3000 and they only teach protools.

This looks like the direction engineers have to take these days to keep food on the table :(

I emailed the lady in charge of my classes and such at IUPUI where I will attend next year. She said any experience is good, and the facility seems nice, but she doesn't actually know anything about Jeff Anderson. She said what she does know is that it is overpriced. Apparently Sweetwater offers a similiar package for much cheaper, though I don't know if that is anywhere near here. I just bought an amp too so I'd have to get a loan from someone to make the first payment. Just seems odd I would get such short notice to save some funds.
Anyway, thanks you guys who gave me some positive information. I'm definitely considering it but I'm not sure if it will work out this time.
Three Doors Down Really? I'm not a big fan of them but that's a big name.
James

as legit as the studio and engineer may be, I'm guessing that there's no way that anyone can adequately cover that much subject matter in a space of 15 hours...

many of those topics can easily eat up 15 hours themselves, and still just be scratching the surface...

That is a beautiful studio and the price is not crazy, but WOW that is a lot of material to cover.:eek: I don't know how he does it in 2 1/2 days.

I run a side business called Home Recording Boot Camp (note, competitive option, so take anything I say with a grain of salt), but my program is 6 days and I think I cover 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of what they cover in the syllabus and I can barely get through what I try and teach. I spend half a day on compression alone.

That is a beautiful studio and the price is not crazy, but WOW that is a lot of material to cover.:eek: I don't know how he does it in 2 1/2 days.

I run a side business called Home Recording Boot Camp (note, competitive option, so take anything I say with a grain of salt), but my program is 6 days and I think I cover 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of what they cover in the syllabus and I can barely get through what I try and teach. I spend half a day on compression alone.

Yeah, that's a good point. My impression by the syllabus is that he found every major component of recording and made a list. And then in the 2 days he will cover someof it and then merely mention or summarize the rest. I honestly would probably do it if it weren't for the due date of the first payment. I'm in the process of financing an amp right now. If he would have given me a sooner notice...

Back