a ? for Thomas Barefoot

Sen

Hi Thomas and everyone else,
I have a pair of triamped Gennies, and a couple of days ago I noticed a bit of a rattle on one of the mid drivers. This rattling happens only on certain songs where some mid freq. sounds really stand out. For instance, I was listening to this piece that has only nylon guitar in it, and it's really noticable there. If I lightly put my finger on the edge of the cone, the rattling stops, but of course this changes the sound a bit too. Do you think this is a serious issue or is it an easy fix. I still haven't opened the speaker up. Should I and what should I look for? I'm not really good with the speaker electronics, but I can hear when something's wrong :) ...so if you can suggest something, please do.
Thank you very much

cheers

If the screws holding the speakers are tight, than take it to a repair shop, sounds like the speaker is bad. Then again, I'm not really good at speaker electronics, either.:D

Thanks Grinder,
I'm a happy man..I've fixed it about half hour after I posted the question. One of the thin mdf sort of "plates" that sits just behind the ports of the monitors was lose. (when I opened it up it was actually laying flat. I glued that back on calked around it with silicone and bingoo...that was my rattling there...Gee, what a relief...:) ..I thought it wouldn't be anything bad, coz I would probably hear it blow if it really had gone bad.
I took the whole driver apart anyway while the box was open just to make sure everyhting is OK, and all looks fine..
Thanks again for input

cheers:)

Hey Sen, I'm glad you fixed your problem!

Makes sense that something was mechanically loose. A blown driver will typically rattle across most of its frequency range. A alown active circuit component can cause buzzing at specific frequencies, but it’s more of an electronic square wave type buzz rather than a rattle.

Cool!

Thomas

Back