A Few Simple Questions

KiFF BluEs

Just a few questions:

1) I've seen some people use virtual instruments on Cubase but they can actualy see a separate window for the instrument. when I use virtual instruments there's just a drop down menu for the different sounds. How come I've seen people have this big program open in cubase for their virtual instruments?

2) How do you do stuff like fading out a certain track or fading in, etc?

3) How do you add an effect (such as delay or reverb) to just a certain section of a track?

4) Sometimes the metronome won't play and I have to restart Cubase for it to work. Any ideas???

5) I recorded a midi track but I had to play it from the beginning for it to playback. If I started playing from the middle no sound would come out. Why?!

6) Is there a way to make the score editor show what midi you played in two staves, trebble and bass. It usually shows everything you played all in trebble clef which makes it hard to read really low notes.

Last edited:
i suggest you read the manual...some of the questions you ask are very basic, and have been answered many times.
Also the "search button" is a useful tool of this BBS! :D

Welcome Aboard!

1) I've seen some people use virtual instruments on Cubase but they can actualy see a separate window for the instrument. when I use virtual instruments there's just a drop down menu for the different sounds. How come I've seen people have this big program open in cubase for their virtual instruments?

Pretty easy, press F12 (F11 either one, can't remember) to bring up the panel, choose one from the combobox, then you see 'big program' opened up.

2) How do you do stuff like fading out a certain track or fading in, etc?
Each ends of audio track has a small triangle blue. Push them to left or right to set the fade.

3) How do you add an effect (such as delay or reverb) to just a certain section of a track?
Each track has "insert" panel on your left side, choose fx from there or click the "e" button on the track to bring up the dialog. From there you can insert FX.

4) Sometimes the metronome won't play and I have to restart Cubase for it to work. Any ideas???
You can set midi metronome or audio metronome in Cubase. Should be in the manual.

5) I recorded a midi track but I had to play it from the beginning for it to playback. If I started playing from the middle no sound would come out. Why?!
I could not answer this...mmm... it's weird.

6) Is there a way to make the score editor show what midi you played in two staves, trebble and bass. It usually shows everything you played all in trebble clef which makes it hard to read really low notes.
Sorry couldn't help you here... as far that i know, it's only the treble clef. he..he.. i'm not really good at notes.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

thx for the help guys :)

edit: I meant adding an effect just to a certain section of a track, not the whole thing, how do you do that?

Last edited:
KiFF BluEs said:
thx for the help guys :)

edit: I meant adding an effect just to a certain section of a track, not the whole thing, how do you do that?

Double click on the track to engage the Edit View. Then just drag your mouse over to the parts you want to add effects to. Now just right click, select Plug-ins, and the rest is up to you.

studiomaster's way of applying an effect to a sertain event works, but is kind of dangerous, since this is one of the very few destructive functions that cubase has (meaning that it gets baked into the audio file, and cannot be undone when you leave the project). A better way would be to automate the on/off button of the effect, and use it as an insert anyway. You can do this by clicking the bypass button the plugin, hitting play, pressing the W button on the track, turn the plugin on and off when you want to. Now stop the track, dissengage the W button and turn the R button on. Now right click somewhere in the left field of the track (not all the way left where the inserst are, but where is small buttons in the main window are) and select "Show automation for this track", or something along those lines. The rest is pretty obvious.

I can think of 1 reason why the midi doesn't work halfway. Midi uses NoteOn and NoteOff messages, which means that if you play the track while the noteon messages has already happened (the beginning of the note), you will not hear anything untill the next note. This is most notable with long sustained notes, in pad sounds for example. Sometimes I use long bassnotes of multiple bars, and I have to play from the beginning of the first bar where the note starts or I won't hear the note at all. That's just how midi is. Cut the note up into smaller ones if it's too anoying, and glue them back together when your done.

Halion said:
studiomaster's way of applying an effect to a sertain event works, but is kind of dangerous, since this is one of the very few destructive functions that cubase has (meaning that it gets baked into the audio file, and cannot be undone when you leave the project). A better way would be to automate the on/off button of the effect, and use it as an insert anyway. You can do this by clicking the bypass button the plugin, hitting play, pressing the W button on the track, turn the plugin on and off when you want to. Now stop the track, dissengage the W button and turn the R button on. Now right click somewhere in the left field of the track (not all the way left where the inserst are, but where is small buttons in the main window are) and select "Show automation for this track", or something along those lines. The rest is pretty obvious.

I can think of 1 reason why the midi doesn't work halfway. Midi uses NoteOn and NoteOff messages, which means that if you play the track while the noteon messages has already happened (the beginning of the note), you will not hear anything untill the next note. This is most notable with long sustained notes, in pad sounds for example. Sometimes I use long bassnotes of multiple bars, and I have to play from the beginning of the first bar where the note starts or I won't hear the note at all. That's just how midi is. Cut the note up into smaller ones if it's too anoying, and glue them back together when your done.

Absolutely correct. I also put insert effects into audio tracks. I just find it much more easier to deal with. But sometimes that little word in the vocals need some effects..so in that case I highlight that event and apply the desired effect. Both way is cool.

You will indeed need automation, but you could automate several things. You could use the write button to automate the fader, or the volume know within the plugin. You can also goto the VST track in the sequencer window (not the mixer) and click on the little + sign at the bottom left corner of the track, untill the volume lane pops up, and edit from there.

Back